3/4" vs 1" meter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughes2182

Reaction score
I am building a house similar in size and location to my current house. I have a 3/4 meter now and with both showers on and someone flushing the toilet the pressure drops. I would like to alleviate this in the new house

3/4 inch meter $16 a month

1" meter $39 a month

Should I do (1) 1" meter or (2) 3/4" meters. My thinking is (2) 3/4" meters would be $32 a month and give greater water flow?

Am I correct in this?

That 1" meter main will continue to climb in price. I would stay at 3/4" and IF both showers happen to be running and if a toilet is flushed all at the same time, then just deal with it.

What pressure and how high up is the dwelling?
What length is your water main and how long piping runs in house?

Hello

The meter and house will be at the same elevation +-2ft.

Distance (meter to house) 300-325ft.

I do not know the pressure

Thank you

Ask your utility co for pressure at that location.
Without pressure nobody can use tables to know what pertains.

Go with the 1” meter and use at least 1.25” pipe from the meter to the house.

Then the plumber will need to size the interior piping to meet the demand.

If you have at least 60-70 psi that’ll work fine.

You could always use a smaller meter and upgrade if it doesn’t work to 1”. But initially install at least a 1.25” water service.

Knowing the starting pressure is the correct way to figure but we don’t know what the pressure is

All the replies are very helpful.

I will call the water company today and ask the pressure

You could also just choke the water down to the toilet so it fills slow.

This would keep your showers running stronger if the toilet is flushed

The water company said "we have to meet minimum code which is 30psi, but your meter could have higher pressure"

So clear as mud
If there are any neighbors close by that are friendly, check their pressure.

I might would call back and talk to engineering and tell them that your plumber wants to know what the approximate pressure is in that area so he can choose what size meter he wants installed .

buy a pressure gauge that screws on to hose bibb threads, and go to a neighbor where you are building. Check the damn pressure.

buy a pressure gauge that screws on to hose bibb threads, and go to a neighbor where you are building. Check the damn pressure.
That’s what I’m doing tomorrow, checking pressure on a new meter set so we can hammer down what size pipe we’re using. Most likely 1.25” or 1.5” with a 1” meter with a 500’ basically straight level run

Latest posts

Back