2nd floor shower flex

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themachinist

Reaction score
1922 house.
2nd floor shower bay install without access from below. Hence leaked causing ceiling to leak. Big mess, now have an accessible 3' x 4' area to work in. New drain installed 3 weeks later small leak noticed 180 degrees from pvc pipe. With someone standing there noticed flexing. Drip is per 10 min 3 drips.

Thoughts are bracing up shower bay with shims and a low to no flex foam spray. Appears to need that. What you see here is before pvc replacement and drain.

What are your thoughts?

20171011_143553.jpg

After reading some of the posts in here. Shims were added towards the sq corner areas of the shower bay. You can see a set far left of the goop. I did put them in sung and tapped, lightly, little past snug. Once that was done used low expansion foam for the floor joists as you can see. Leaked stopped and flex as well. I did this on both joists under the area in high hopes to keep the flexing from causing the leak.

Little damage to the ceiling as you can tell but square off the area. Dust masks line chalk, vacuum hand saw. Should end up looking better then when it started. Would appear this shower was put in from top floor down, no access to the lower end. Even had many saw blades and other things in the ceiling when if came down. Will add access door panel so that one can get up in there if needed later. Will wait about 3 weeks before attempt to finish ceiling. In case other leaks or something more is needed to be done.

20171226_010342.jpg

Last edited:
Are you going to install an access panel to get at the plug in the bottom of the trap? Wrong family of PVC fitting used as a 90 off of trap...No purple primer evident. Unfortunately it appears you have installed a big family of leaks and clogs waiting to happen. I would take it all out and replace with the correct parts and primer and PVC cement.

Aside from wrong size pvc pipe. All I did was match size installed. Primer used was undyed primer. Yes a access panel will get installed.

As far a replacement of all that might have to wait due to costs. Seems the 2 in falls into a 5 in main about 5 feet without access areas. However leaks and cost plus accessible parts where determining factors.

Back