2001 Gas Water Heater Never Flushed. Ride it?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyphlus

Reaction score
Sister bought a new home.
2001 Rheem Pro 40 gas water heater.
Asked the owner if he ever flushed it. Bewildered eyes
He took the EverKleen™ too seriously?

When tank starts I hear the pop. Low & thump
No leaks.
Assuming old anode & full of sediment.

It's got tray.... cement surroundings and safe to outside drainage in case of failure. And for thermal relief too.

Anode removal unless segmented has top clearance issue.
Flushing do more harm then good?
I assume it would take a day of flushing to get clear... I have the time.

Ride it out or flush?

#plumbing

Last edited:
Flushing could possibly get rid of the sediment, but it likes to stick together. maybe long heavy probes to loosen it up when you unscrew the hose bibb, then install a lever handle full port ball valve with a hose adapter added for flushing, to allow full flow.
Yes, a segmented anode could definitely do "something", but by now the tank is in the process of being rusted out for likely many years already.

Too late to save it, that popping is probably from a layer of hard packed minerals that won’t budge if you flush it.

You can try flushing it just for grins, and if you don’t bother to change the drain sillcock, you will likely have to open it and close it many times, to clear out sludge that will probably plug it while draining.

Leave the water on, the gas on, just put on a hose and see what comes out, drain till clear.

I'll see if I can hook my tiny camera up..

Any chance I'm better off not touching it and letting her ride it out? We want to do whole roof before winter. Instead of patching roof.

Your sister got her money's worth. Time for a new water heater ;) .

Latest posts

Back