2 fill valves/howling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinniab

Reaction score
I replaced my toilet 9 years ago. 10.5 months ago, the fill valve went bad (kept dripping/running)...replaced it and was fine until this week. (kohler/kohler fill valve). I had a fluid master fill valve on hand....stuck that one on (only pulled off the top, i am disabled and can't reach under to remove the stem).

1st flush, very light howl sound, but within a few flushes it was howling the same as the last one....could it be something other than the fill valve. i couldn't find any youtube videos with the exact how sound. it does stop as soon as i lift the floater part. could both fill valves be bad? I contacted kohler about a replacement under the alleged guarantee.

Is your spigot on the wall, which is connected to your fill valve, fully opened? If so, partially close it. If the spigot is partially opened, then fully open it. This will usually quiet the sound.

i assume you mean the shut off ...i closed and re opened it when i put the new valve on....it had worked fine for 10.5 months before the sound started......i tried 1/4 off then 1/2 off....same sound

Not knowing your knowledge, I jumped to the easier terminology. To me, it sounds as if your washer inside the valve is vibrating. What is your water pressure in your home?

no clue on water pressure, its a condo......probably a coincidence, but it started right around the time they turned the heat on....gas heat with radiators ...that need to be bled when air gets in the line....(didn't need that this year)...i don't know of any connection to that though..not sure it was the same day.......would that be the washer inside the cap on top? i opened up the kohler I just removed and pulled it out....ran water through it....but its such a PIA to adjust the height i didn't want to go through that again if its pointless to put that one back in....HOA will just have a tantrum and make threats if I ask them anything..it will suddenly be my fault the water bill went up (it was when we switched to digital meters and they were misread for 2 years...but our plumber/treasurer who writes checks to himself insisted it was leaky toilets and faucets that cost 60K over 1 month.....(200 condos all 1 bathroom)...funny thing is bill went down 60K the next month on its own)

I hear this often. Do you believe the sound is from your fill valve not being adjusted correctly?

the 1st was fine for 10.5 months, it had been set a couple notches low (maybe 1/8 inch)...but was working so i left it (the handyman that installed it left it all the way down, i didn't notice to after he left, luckily i had marked how high the old one sat above the edge of the toilet----my motor skills are bad and its hard to hold it steady while i lock it in place--but pulled it up close).....i made sure the fluidmaster in now is the exact height the original was...but same problem no matter what height.

the locking ring on the original had gotten stuck..even the handyman couldn't release it....

and the original was fine from July 2014-Nov 2022....then kept running/dripping..no noise

Last edited:
You need to post a picture of inside the tank. Also a video with the light on

Turn water valve off and disconnect the water line from the inlet of the fluidmaster.

Use some needle nose pliers and remove the flow regulator in the fluidmaster inlet. Grab it and pull straight down.

There’s a chance the fluidmaster doesn’t have the flow regulator innthe inlet. Check anyway.

The stop valve should be left wide open.

If that doesn’t correct the problem, replace the fluidmaster. You could just replace the seal in the top but I usually just replace the whole fluidmaster.

The same thing was happening with the 10 month old Kohler brand valve. I still have it--i am disabled and can't reach under the toilet to dc the water line....where it connects looks like a plain plastic stem--it is the kohler stem that was replaced last year.

if the parts are just bad, the kohler is under warranty.....i am on ssdi and actually disabled and not working for cash under the table like others i know....i don't want to put money out if I don't have to

Nope, the water line must be disconnected. The inlet may have a flow regulator in it.

I guess you’ll need to have someone do it if you can’t.

ok, i looked at the (kohler) part that was removed 10 months ago and see a black removable rubber part...that is not in the fluidmaster stem...right now it is the 10 month old genuine KOHLER stem and the fluidmaster top part......i had the fluidmaster laying around....last year when i originally bought it (when i was going to try to fix it myself before realizing i couldn't, the kohler part was out of stock...but i was able to find it by the time the handyman came...any chance if i just get a new kohler top part it will work? the original full genuine Kohler set up worked for 10.5 months...apparently with the valve in place.....i don't have $100 to pay someone...i have a lot of friends when I am doing for them...but never have 3 minutes for me......the noise is annoying, but if it works....it was howling with the full kohler set up after 10 months or working fine.

Back