2 condensate lines into sanitary drain - best practice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamberg

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing a rehab with new HVAC (attic space) and tankless WH.

We have an HVAC (3/4") and WH (1/2") condensate lines we need to exit into a 1-1/2" line (already) plumbed into the utility room. (the house is slab on grade)

What are the requirements (if any), other than a trap attached to the 1-1/2" sanitary line? Sketch attached...

Attachments

• condensate.jpg
    condensate.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 0
Around these parts it’s common to have the condensation lines (from equipment in attic) plumbed with an air gap to drip right into the standpipe used for the washing machine.

Doing a rehab with new HVAC (attic space) and tankless WH.

We have an HVAC (3/4") and WH (1/2") condensate lines we need to exit into a 1-1/2" line (already) plumbed into the utility room. (the house is slab on grade)

What are the requirements (if any), other than a trap attached to the 1-1/2" sanitary line? Sketch attached...
City sewer or septic ?

Is that a one of the drain lines running down towards the stub out?

When you say "standpipe" is there a P-trap in the slab?

Basically, all you need is a P-trap between the sewer and an air gap between the drains and the standpipe. The two drain lines can be combined into one if it is easier.

Is that a one of the drain lines running down towards the stub out?

When you say "standpipe" is there a P-trap in the slab?

Basically, all you need is a P-trap between the sewer and an air gap between the drains and the standpipe. The two drain lines can be combined into one if it is easier.

Yes that is the hvac line, the WH’s line is not there (yet).

So we “could” bring the 1/2” WH line over, tee (or wye) it to the 3/4” HVAC and just drop one line into a floor drain?

Yes that is the hvac line, the WH’s line is not there (yet).

So we “could” bring the 1/2” WH line over, tee (or wye) it to the 3/4” HVAC and just drop one line into a floor drain?
Yes, but won't you have to break up the slab to install that floor drain?

And I would use a wye to combine the two lines.

Don’t combine the two drains, run the hvac and the tankless separate until they independently drain into the receptor. Understand the difference between air gap and air break.

Don’t combine the two drains, run the hvac and the tankless separate until they independently drain into the receptor. Understand the difference between air gap and air break.

(please) correct my thought process...

typically there (or there shouldn't be) will not be any obstructions coming from the condensate lines, so (my thought) is you can extend the line(s) into the receptacle (air break?).

If there were the potential for something (food, sludge) then there would need to be an "air gap" so the line(s) would need to sit above the receptacle.

Am I at least on the right track?

Air gap of 1” IS required. And believe me, we encounter AC and acidic condensate lines frequently that clog with slime sludge. There are commercial tablets on the market to inhibit slime.

I would also run the line's seperately and then do like your picture with the trap. Almost like a prep sink drain setup.

Latest posts

Back