1960’s Manufacturer ID help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brosius89

Reaction score
Hello! First time poster from NC.
I have a leaky tub spout in a house built in the 60’s. Had a plumber come in and do nothing and say I had to get them to tear out the whole wall and replace everything with new fixtures. After that I decided to try for myself and see where I get before tearing out the whole wall. This is what came out… local supplier said it’s probably original to the 60s and he’s never seen it, said to search online. I can’t find a name brand anywhere. I replaced the back seal ring and that’s working for now, but I like to find and replace the whole stem. Any help is greatly appreciated! F584C80B-22A4-4099-AA73-989085B5B3DA.jpeg9C3042B8-212D-4423-9758-9B98645A735F.jpeg664BBE79-A310-4235-BDA5-57C0B90C990F.jpeg

Your plumber may have been saving you more of a headache than you think. It's not un-do-able. Good luck

The hot and cold handles are not original. So no love there.

The center handle looks like it but it was a popular style. Ultimately to be 100% accurate you would need to have the broach point count and exact length.

It you have a plumbing repair parts stores your area take the stem there and ID it. Buy all new parts ......

Over the years I’ve ID’d and repaired hundreds of old tub faucets. Many still in use......

No one is anti plumber. They are anti taking advise. They are more pro being told what they want to hear. I'm not saying you can't do it or shouldn't try. I'm saying lots of people have this same question and got similar advise from their plumber. Then they chase leaks for a while and we never hear from them again.

It is up to the individual to determine if repairing this is over their head or not. I hope the original poster let's us all know whether he was able to fix this or not. Also, we like before and after pics!

if the center handle is original then it is a central brass faucet.

Awesome, could you post a link to the stem ?

P&M manufacturing made handles that looked like that, they made them to fit many faucets, outside the same but the broach was different on each one.

The original plumber did nothing.

The homeowner replaced the washer or oring and it’s working for now. He wants to replace the stems.

You are correct sir. The tub is not isolated. I broke the hot and cold handles getting them off. Even using the right removal tool. Got the stems out. Replaced the washer in the back. Put them back in, got some cheap handles and created a set-screw fastener to make them work for now. The middle handle is original to my knowledge. The hot and cold were replaced today. No leaking at all for now so at least that’s something. The new stems will be here in a week. If they fit, I’ll keep them and get some new handles and be good to go! Thank you all for the help!

I don’t care what the plumber deals with or not. I’m not bugging him. He named his plan, I’m opting to try my own. I’ll “treat myself to a new bathroom” if I fail at mine. If I succeed, it’ll last long enough for me to pay off my house in about 5 years and then I’ll treat myself to a new bathroom anyway but be much farther ahead financially for making an effort rather than just settling for what every “expert” says I should pay them for. Again, much appreciation to those who are helping!

This pissing match will end, or a vacation from this site is in your near future. We are all tired of it!

Who keeps track of valve rebuilding? Maybe 12.

I called for some boiler drain guts last week and the supply house said they can't find them and why, here's three new valves for $30.

When Bush normalized trade relations with China and everyone sent manufacturing there, we quit rebuilding valves. They don't even teach valve class anymore. Also people normally can't wait for valves to be rebuilt. They are so cheap and abundant. Every business would do what his plumber did. Modern valves are preferred. As this guy will find out.

This pissing match will end, or a vacation from this site is in your near future. We are all tired of it!
Pretty sure my posts are related to the thread. The pissing contest about valve rebuilding doesn't have to do with anything. I agree

Back