1954 two piece american standard toilet removal help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akeener1

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for having me. I have a basement toilet that I am replacing. When I took it up I found they had chipped away the concrete so the toilet would sit right on the CI waste pipe with no flange it.They then used a plaster underneath the toilet. The wast pipe is about a 1/4 inch lower than the finished floor. My question is how do I make a level base for the replacement flange to screw into, what do i use to screw it down, and how do i level off the rest of the area that was chipped out so I can set the new toilet on?

Upon further inspection, some of the front is slightly below level of the pipe and the back is clearly below level. Here's a photo for clarification.

Thanks,
Adam

photo.jpg

Thanks Phish. Would I be able to tapcon into that? I am also thinking of making some kind of barrier to go around the pipe just till the leveler sets so it doesn't seep into the wast pipe. I could maybe use some aluminum flashing till it's set then remove it before I put in the expansion flange. Is there a way i can plug the pipe so nothing gets in it instead of putting a barrier?. One person i know suggested I put the expansion flange in first and then cement. I'm worried about not being able to get the thing out if I ever need to. I've seen a few different types of expansion flanges. Do they make one with a metal ring or would I be ok using the oatey plastic model? I figure if I get the floor level, that would minimize any rocking and I should be ok with the plastic. Any ideas would be a great help.

Thanks Again,
Adam

The inside of the cast iron is not going to make a very good seal with an expansion flange. Me personally I would chip out the concrete from around the pipe and install cast iron flange using lead wool and oakum.

here's a link that shows 2 ways you can do it.

replacing a cast iron flange

Last edited:
Thanks Mr. David. Does the lead wool just get packed in after the oakum? I did read your link. I do like the idea of using cast iron for the fact that I can cement around it.

Thanks for your help

Adam

Thanks Mr. David. Does the lead wool just get packed in after the oakum? I did read your link. I do like the idea of using cast iron for the fact that I can cement around it.

Thanks for your help

Adam

Yes. I have some caulking irons but you can grind a small chisel flat on the end will work nicely. It's tedious but just stuff and pack ,stuff some more and pack again I place a couple flat FHA straps under the flange. pack in the oakum tight. Flange will want to move around until it's tight. Try to keep the gap even as well.

Back