1950s ptrap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty

Reaction score
image.jpg

I'm remodeling my guest bathroom and converting the tub into a walkin shower. The photo is the original tub drain and ptrap that connects to a cast iron drain. I've never seen a trap like this. Can I used it with my new shower drain?

The cast iron is 2inch running to the stack so it's ok. Trying to avoid having to remove cast iron pipe since its in good shape.

Going to a walk in shower from a tub, you want a 2" drain anyway, where that is likely 1 1/2", I can't tell from the picture.

So this is a photo of where that drain connects to the stack. How do I remove the cast iron drain pipe at the hub? I'm assuming it's better to remove rather than cut it.

If I cut the drain pipe about 2 feet from the stack is it likely that I can wiggle it loose? If not then how?

Thanks for advice.

image.jpg

Last edited:
cut it here.
Connect new pipe with a banded coupling.

Good call if OP was using the same size pipe. OP is not. Despite stating 2", the pipe pictured is 1 1/2". All existing steel pipe must be removed and new 2" installed. Big job for a DIYer.

Good call if OP was using the same size pipe. OP is not. Despite stating 2", the pipe pictured is 1 1/2". All existing steel pipe must be removed and new 2" installed. Big job for a DIYer.

Why do you think it's 1 1/2? That is 2 inch pipe where Mr David is recommending I cut. Yes it's 1 1/2 near the trap but it's 2 inch where he's recommending I cut and use the banded coupling. Please explain.

Last edited:
Yes, I was basing my statement on the picture of the pipe around the drum trap. If the outside diameter of the pipe is 2 3/8" you are golden. Mr. David's recommendation is the best way to make the connection. And much easier to do with no leaks!

I have never seen 1-1/2" cast iron with hub & spigot lead joints.
Only 2" and up.

All the 1-1\2" trap arms I have seen are usually Galvanized pipe screwed into tapped santees.

I have never seen 1-1/2" cast iron with hub & spigot lead joints.
Only 2" and up.

All the 1-1\2" trap arms I have seen are usually Galvanized pipe screwed into tapped santees.

Correct. The cast iron is 2". It's only 11/2 near the trap.

Success.

BTW, excellent call adding the extra strap. Six feet of 2" cast iron sure is heavy!

old cast iron pipe cut and capped.jpg

Back