1922 Crane Sink Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This old plumber never used that before, but it sure sounds good. Wish I knew this before. Thanks for the
response.

I had to resort to going to the dark side, to seal a leak in the compression fitting under the wall hung tank, going into the short tube to the bowl.

Permatex #2, messy but sometimes fixes the unfixable slight leak.
It seals threads, coats old rubber and fiber gaskets, never fully hardens.

Yes, shameful.

there is a trick, i used to use plumbers cotton wick , I tried to find it on the web but could not. it was a cotton string but not tightly woven . more like a wicking string. I used it like hemp around threads . we used to call it angel hair . It would swell when wet and stop all leaks. better than Teflon and dope. . very good on large threaded pipes like 3 - 4 inches .
the old plumbers know
We call it string packing. It’s cotton string and we use plumbers grease to saturate it.

I use to hate working on those old wall hung toilets. The nuts and washers that you can get usually didn't
take care of any leaks. Got lucky on some though.
No doubt, and once you start working on it there’s always the chance it could all start dripping. The new slip washers are crap, very thin. I started just packing them with string packing, a lot of it.

Latest posts

Back