1922 Crane Sink Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeterDoctor

Reaction score
I have a 1922 Crane sink and am trying to find the drain assembly, strainer, retaining nut for it. I am having much difficulty finding anything. Appreciate any and all assistance. 0505B2EF-BFC4-40C5-AAE6-E4E68E48272E.jpeg3C2290F2-0D29-4CC5-B297-064C36B1F678.jpegD1D91765-D779-410F-A005-151CE79ECFAD.jpeg1C2EFAF8-BA58-4A4A-AE9D-96C4F4D0592F.jpegC1213444-FCBA-448D-ADBB-E0D5530E69B8.jpeg2D4E054F-D690-4E46-B10A-526DE6536463.jpeg3C386A1E-7E70-4C03-97E9-5C6887322C38.jpeg

I had a client with an old bathroom with all that same color of fixtures, but I think it was all American Standard.
Approx 100 year old fixtures.

House was built in the 1860’s.

Seafoam green, I believe.

Very nice color, and popular now with the retro crowd.

There was also a super scary electric heater, literally just a few inches from the toilet.

Basically a toaster sitting inside the wall.

It still worked!

My grandma had a big sink like that in her apartment in Chicago, only in white.
I can remember taking baths in there, when I was two or three.

Sorry for off topic, just good memories flooding back.

Yes, that is an awesome sink, I hope it cleans up well!

Please post some pics with progress, thanks!

That is a totally awesome old sink! Boy they don’t make them like that anymore. Even if it has a little surface damage there are places that can refinish those. It’s worth it to salvage a piece of history!

I have removed a few of those during kitchen remodels. They were usually in a historical district. If you look close at the bottom of the legs there are small pins that fit into holes drilled into the tile floor. Prevents leg from moving if accidently bumped. "Very Heavy" units.

I have removed a few of those during kitchen remodels. They were usually in a historical district. If you look close at the bottom of the legs there are small pins that fit into holes drilled into the tile floor. Prevents leg from moving if accidently bumped. "Very Heavy" units.
Now the pins make sense. I assumed it was a older style of an orbital pad like on the end of a bar top stool.

Several years ago, on a quest for old valves where a vintage tub was installed, the outcome in sourcing was a special order through Lowe's. They (surprisingly to me) had access to some unique supplies.

Love the sink, and its deep apron! My mom's pride and joy when I was growing up was a double-basin, double-drainboard sink top that she took with her when they moved. Refinishing at the time didn't work well, but maybe there are better materials now. I would try a very fine finishing material (rubbing compound) before trying a coating.

Is that sink cast iron or metal. About how heavy is it. That will look really nice with a new faucet
and shined up.

I had a client with an old bathroom with all that same color of fixtures, but I think it was all American Standard.
Approx 100 year old fixtures.

House was built in the 1860’s.

Seafoam green, I believe.

Very nice color, and popular now with the retro crowd.

There was also a super scary electric heater, literally just a few inches from the toilet.

Basically a toaster sitting inside the wall.

It still worked!
Jeff American standard was know as standard 100 years ago. later it became American standard, I have worked on many of those bathrooms and toilets , with the flush bend elbow, and upper and lower lift pins on the Douglas valve, Made a fortune fixing them.

This toilet had a wall hung tank, and hung just a few inches over the bowl.
Yes, just “Standard”.

The bowl had a long hairline crack in it, but my client said it had been like that for about sixty years.

I had to cobble together some one of a kind fittings and home made guts, to convert the old ballcock to a modern Fluidmaster.

Jeff American standard was know as standard 100 years ago. later it became American standard, I have worked on many of those bathrooms and toilets , with the flush bend elbow, and upper and lower lift pins on the Douglas valve, Made a fortune fixing them.
Well, we have one person who saw them, one person repairing/working on them....... for the trifecta, my father worked for American Standard, making toilets in New Orleans, when he was in college studying Ceramic Engineering about 1966-1967.

Apparently there is ONE PLACE in the USA that will properly refinish this old lady...custom ceramic.

All the other "systems" out there, epoxies and what have you, probably won't stand the test of time--certainly not for a hard-working kitchen sink, unless it is relegated to decorative or occasional use only.

http://www.customceramic.com

I use to hate working on those old wall hung toilets. The nuts and washers that you can get usually didn't
take care of any leaks. Got lucky on some though.

I use to hate working on those old wall hung toilets. The nuts and washers that you can get usually didn't
take care of any leaks. Got lucky on some though.
there is a trick, i used to use plumbers cotton wick , I tried to find it on the web but could not. it was a cotton string but not tightly woven . more like a wicking string. I used it like hemp around threads . we used to call it angel hair . It would swell when wet and stop all leaks. better than Teflon and dope. . very good on large threaded pipes like 3 - 4 inches .
the old plumbers know

Latest posts

Back