17mm pipe - how to repair rotten flare

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrWill

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm restoring a 1985 Toyota MR2. This is a mid-engined vehicle that has hard brass heater tubes that run from front to back - around 4-5 ft long. They have long been discontinued at the dealer and are difficult to find non-rusted ones.

Due to the age, the flares at the ends of the pipes have rotted away and were leaking. I can cut the ends off, but I can't seem to find a flare tool in this diameter of tube.

I've measured it at 17mm in diameter, which means it's not compatible with most of the lower-cost flaring tools out there.

Some mentioned soldering on an olive, but again I'm having trouble finding an olive in that diameter.

Can someone help me out with a solution? Would a compression fitting work? I'm concerned it might work its way loose with the vibration of driving. The tubes will connect with rubber heater hoses on either end. It won't be high pressure - around 15-20 psi max.

I am a DiY kind of guy and not a professional plumber, though I have done a variety of plumping jobs around the house (done a few sweating jobs on copper pipe).

Thanks!

Why not just use rubber hose all the way, that's the way most vehicles are?

Why not just use rubber hose all the way, that's the way most vehicles are?

Yeah I was looking into that. The issues are that there is limited space as the lines run underneath the car in a narrow channel between the gas tank and centre tunnel. The rubber hose of the same ID is quite a lot larger on the OD and I'm concerned it may get squished by the gas task. Then I'll need to find a way to mount it to the wall securely, which most likely means drilling into the wall.

I'm open to challenge through. I thought keeping the brass pipes might be an easier option.

I'm scratching my head about "hard brass heater tubes", especially in a 1985 Toyota. I know most large automotive repair facilities can flare in American or metric sizing, maybe it is just your location? I'd be doing some Google searching in your area or contact "Parts Geek" to fine an OEM replacement, since it sounds like you are doing a restoration on this highly sought after vehicle.

I would think you could cut the flare off the tubing and shove a 5/8 heater hose on it about 2 inches and put 2 clamps on it, with the screws on opposite sides. That should withstand more pressure than you will ever have.

Back