116 yr old basement floor drain troubleshooting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malcolm132

Reaction score
I recently purchased a home that was built in 1900 and while most of the upper floors are totally remodeled, the basement remains basically untouched. In Indiana we have recently had a major amount of rainfall and my basement started to develop a 10' x 15' puddle that was about 2" deep right over the floor drain. I had a plumber come and try to snake out the drain pipe and he concluded that the drain pipe in the floor is going straight down into the Earth and about 4 inches down he hit a bunch of dirt and that the water appears to be groundwater coming up from there. There is another cast iron pipe in a different section of the basement that is away from the useless floor drain. It is clear and drains well, so we pumped the water from the puddle over to the drain and the puddle was gone.

Unfortunately more rain came over the weekend and I actually saw water coming up through the old bad floor drain.

I pumped out all of the water again last night and no more new water came up, but I am wondering what permanent solutions I can implement. I've attached a pic of the old bad drain. Would it be unwise to just seal this old drain off? What can I use to do that (part of me wants to dump a bag of quikcrete on there :mad: )?

Again, I have a working drain in a different part of the basement so I don't have major fears of there being an all-out flood. Just need to make sure no more water can freely come on in through this very broken floor drain. Thanks!

IMG_1157.jpg

Latest posts

Back