100+ PSI in the house too much? How to lower?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoward

Reaction score
Hi all,

Our house was built two years ago, we live in the country and are on rural water. The water meter is about a quarter mile from the house and have pvc laid from the meter to the house 3 feet deep.

We had a water leak recently and the guy who fixed it mentioned our water pressure was really high and I might want to look at it.

There is a frost free hydrant placed outside the house right where the supply enters, that hydrant was the source of the leak and we replaced it. About two days later a toilet valve started leaking and I had to replace that too, not sure if related to pressure, but it was only two years old.

I bought a cheap pressure gauge at Lowe’s and checked the pressure at the frost free hydrant located before water enters the home and it was 100 psi. I checked the hydrants on front and back of house which are on the home’s plumbing system and pressure on each was around 110 psi.

We have two water heaters, one for upstairs and one for down. I looked at the one connected to the supply and I don’t see a way to decrease the pressure anyway there.

Do I need to worry about the pressure being too high and if so how do I lower it?

I bought one a few years ago and set it for 50-55 lbs and it works fine

You should have a pressure regulator. If so, you either need to replace it, or with any luck, you can adjust it to reduce the pressure to around 55-65 PSI Maximum. If you don't have one, then I would recommend you install one ASAP.

Back