1/4" NPT Drain Plug for Pool Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonnaps

Reaction score
Anyone know of a PVC, ABS, Nylon, or some type of plastic fitting for a 1/4" NPT connection? I have a drain port in the back of my pool heater that accepts a 1/4" NPT drain plug. I wanted to put some type of stainless steel ball valve with some tubing on there instead of the plug. Anything I can find seems to be metal and I am very leary about putting a metal male thread into a plastic female threaded hole, even if I am careful about it.

I will end up buying something like this for a ball valve: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWQX8HH/

I basically need a plastic version of this LTWFITTING Bar Production Stainless Steel 316 Barb Fitting Coupler/Connector 3/8" Hose ID x 1/4" Male NPT Air Fuel Water (Pack of 5): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific and I would be good to go. I just don't want to thread anything metal into my brand new and expensive heater and risk cracking the main body around that drain port, or damaging the threads somehow where the stock plastic drain plug won't seal correctly anymore.

This is what the drain plug itself looks like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VTG8NO/

I’m not sure what type thread that drain plug has. It uses an oring to seal……

You’re on your own…..

I had that same issue on my pool filter, and installed a lever valve I found at Leslie's Pool Supply.

Attachments

• 16563724954075075322420821820785.jpg
    16563724954075075322420821820785.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
That ain't no cement pond, but it sure looks nice....until a cottonmouth decides to getcha.

That ain't no cement pond, but it sure looks nice....until a cottonmouth decides to getcha.
I saw a 6’ gator paddle by my place a couple weeks ago.

Last year a lady was walking her poodle on one of those long retractable leashes. Bald Eagle landed about 10’ away and started toward the dog. Dog ran and jumped in lady’s arms. Eagle followed them home. 🤣

I had that same issue on my pool filter, and installed a lever valve I found at Leslie's Pool Supply.

I'll stop by my Leslie's today and check. I can't seem to find it on their site. It might me a one-off type of product your local Leslie's carries. What make and model is your pool filter?

What twowaxhack said, that's probably not NPT (or NPTF for the female), as it appears to be straight threads with an O-Ring for a seal.

That said, any time I'm looking for plastic (or any other material) fittings, I go to McMaster-Carr as they not only have anything you can imagine, but their selection guides work really well. Don't know how many times I've been through the Amazon selection guides only to have them come up empty (when I already have something in my cart, just looking for other options), and I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times McMaster-Carr has been unable to find something (and it's usually something esoteric like left-hand thread stainless metric carriage bolts).

Hmmm, almost there. All that John Guest stuff seems to be NPTF threads vs NPT. Might have an issue there with proper sealing, right?

if you actually needed npt then that nptf fitting would work. But I don’t believe you need npt threads. I think you need straight threads with an oring.

I'll stop by my Leslie's today and check. I can't seem to find it on their site. It might me a one-off type of product your local Leslie's carries. What make and model is your pool filter?
My filter is made by Hayward. It is a smaller, cartridge unit, but I couldn't tell you the exact model number. My only concern is it is a drain port for a pool heater, you will have heat going to it regularly. I would try calling the company and getting an exact replacement. And Twowax is correct, they usually use o rings on pool equipment.

You may want to check an auto parts store or a car radiator business. Many cars have a ¼" polypro drain valve at the bottom of the radiator.

Back