1/2" to 3/4"?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawsaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious...
I have 3/4" copper piping in my house, with 1/2" copper piping, running to outside spigots. A plumber has told me I should change that to 3/4", as well, as that is what he is putting in all new builds.
Does that have merit?
Thanks.

I personally wouldn’t replace piping to a hose Bibb unless it was leaking.

Would 3/4” pipe provide more water ? Sure, but the question is, Do you need it ? The answer is no for me.

With new construction probably easier to go with one size for tools, Fittings & Pex.

It might be easier to only have to stock 3/4" piping and fittings, but larger costs more.
Larger pipe holds more water, which can waste a lot of hot water, especially for lower flow faucets.
Uponor's cold expansion fittings with PEX-A do not reduce the size of the pipe at fittings.

1/2” pex B with insert fittings works great if you have descent pressure.

With all the low flow crap that’s mandated, it works fine.

Your hot water delivery temp plays a roll.

If your hot water isn’t very hot then you’ll be using more of it.

This translates into high flow rates on the hot side but lower flow rates on the cold.

This is one reason I prefer a 130-140 delivery temp. It improves my hot water to cold mix ratio. I want as close to a 50/50 mix as I can get for my showers. I pipe Roman tub valves with 3/4.

This reduces my hot water flow velocity and allows more fixtures on a smaller hot pipe with less purge time.

Back