1-1/2" drain to 1-1/4" trap?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetwillie

Reaction score
Self-admitted DIYer here with a plumbing issue. The wife and I are upgrading our laundry/bathroom and decided to go with a larger utility-ish sink. The tailpiece is 1-1/2". The old trap was 1-1/4", with the brass drain at the bottom in the floor accepting 1-1/4". So I need a way to connect the 1-1/2" tailpiece to the new 1-1/4" trap. I did not think this would be as much of an issue as it seems to be. I tried to figure it out myself first, without much luck. Today at the big box store a clerk there helped me and assured me what he gave me would work. Here are photos of of the tailpiece, the trap I have, and also the fittings the clerk gave me. He told me to slide the nibco reducer over the tailpiece, glue a coupling to that, and then glue a reducer bushing below that. Then he said all I'd have to do was connect my trap to the reducer bushing. My only problem is that the bushing is a slip socket, so I don't see a way of connecting this to the top of my trap. Do they make reducer bushings that are threaded that I could thread onto the trap? I'm kind of at a loss here. I'm embarrassed to have spent over $50 in pvc fittings and still be stuck. haha.. I've been fine in the past with straightforward plumbing projects. thanks for the help.

drain.jpg

parts.jpg

Your need an 1-1/2 s trap and on the pipe going into the floor you connect the trap with a 1-1/2x 1-1/4 tubular ferrel that way you can use a1-1/2 nut on the 1-1/4 pipe and then you connect the 1-1/2 tail piece to the 1-1/2 trap I would go to your local plumbing supply house and maybe they can direct you to these parts

e216f3ac-25f6-487d-8dd7-0f8f27f2c489_400.jpg

1 1/2 x 1 1/4 slip joint plastic reducing washer and nut

1 1/2 s trap. make the reduction at the fitting on the floor

e216f3ac-25f6-487d-8dd7-0f8f27f2c489_400.jpg

1 1/2 x 1 1/4 slip joint plastic reducing washer and nut

1 1/2 s trap. make the reduction at the fitting on the floor

That's exactly what I was talking about i spent forever trying to find a pic on the Internet and failed thanks!

I'm at a loss. Short of cutting open the bottom of the new cabinet and possibly ripping up the concrete floor, what are my options?

What is in the wall behind that pipe?

The S-trap is a plumbing code violation. the water can be siphoned out of the trap.

It needs to be a P-trap with a trap arm that is at least 3-inches long that goes into the wall before going to a sanitary tee. But, cutting that all out might be a huge undertaking.

If you live in a state that allows AAVs (air admittance valves) you might be able to use one. and not go into the wall-- but you still need the 3" or even 4" long trap arm.

Back