Wirsbo manifold gasket replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilyT

Reaction score
I have a 20 year old Wirsbo manifold system that provides radiant floor heat in the house. I noticed small leakage around the union connection nut (pointed by the red arrow in the picture below). The rubber gasket inside this nut is probably worn out and needs to be replaced. I have already ordered the new gasket.

However, I haven’t figured out the steps to refill the manifold to get the air out after the gasket replacement. Could someone with experience of this old Wirsbo system share some light?

Suppose I first shut off both levers on the upper line and bottom line (the two red levers shown on the right edge of the picture). Then I unscrew the leaky nut. I imagine, during this disconnection, I will lose some water that is sitting in the lower line/manifold - the horizontal section specifically, I hope the water level in the 8 vertical pipes and in the upper line/manifold won’t be affected. Am I right about this water loss? I can catch this water using bath towels. Then I replace the gasket with new one, and screw back the nut.

Now there are some air introduced in the lower manifold. How to purge the air out? Any idea?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• 4D4938AF-B1DA-4D8A-9377-33D60EA497D7.jpeg
    4D4938AF-B1DA-4D8A-9377-33D60EA497D7.jpeg
    744.3 KB · Views: 9
Back