Winterizing Flowing Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbhouser

Reaction score
Would love some input on how to possibly troubleshoot this problem.

We have a 3/4" (inner diameter) steel pipe that is currently directing flow from a borehole. I have attached a diagram to show what it roughly looks like, although the dimensions on the diagram are not correct. We are hoping the stop the flow roughly 3' below ground surface to winterize the pipe. Our first solution would be to use a product such as this - Link (Twist N Seal), however the length is only 12". For reference, the flow out of the pipe has ranged from 0.2 to 0.4 L/sec.

Has anyone used a product such as Twist N Seal, or some other alternative? Or is there another way of possibly stopping the flow? I appreciate any advice as I have little to no plumbing experience.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
How much pressure does it need to hold? is it 1-, 1.5 or 2-inch

I’d look at a test plug with the wing nut replaced by a coupling nut on the end of piece of all-thread. I’d put locktite on the all-thread rod, and screw the coupling nut onto it 3 or 4 threads. Let that sit over night, and then screw the test plug on. Put it down the pipe and tighten it in with the all-thread comes in 3 and 6-ft lengths so you could put it the full 6-ft down.

Option 2, assuming artesian flow, is to let it run, if you can tolerate the mess In the spring. Ground water is always warmer than freezing, so it own’t freeze until it runs a ways and cools down.

How much pressure does it need to hold? is it 1-, 1.5 or 2-inch

I’d look at a test plug with the wing nut replaced by a coupling nut on the end of piece of all-thread. I’d put locktite on the all-thread rod, and screw the coupling nut onto it 3 or 4 threads. Let that sit over night, and then screw the test plug on. Put it down the pipe and tighten it in with the all-thread comes in 3 and 6-ft lengths so you could put it the full 6-ft down.

Option 2, assuming artesian flow, is to let it run, if you can tolerate the mess In the spring. Ground water is always warmer than freezing, so it own’t freeze until it runs a ways and cools down.
I really like option 1 with the test plug. Unfortunately, we need to have them plugged and cannot let them run throughout the winter, so option 2 is a no-go. I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but would the test plug still have the ability to be tightened while it is in the pipe? My only concern would be is the test plug rotating with the all-thread, and not creating a seal (if that makes sense). Appreciate the help!

If it will consistently flow all winter, and you have a place for the water to go, I would let it run! We have what I call a high pressure artesian well, 12 ft + head. We are gone for 5 months in the winter, and I have a pipe to the lake that it flows through, about 3 gpm. It keeps a small area of the lake open, and we have less shoreline ice damage in that area. Otherwise you can make some kind of a expansion plug to shove down the pipe, and then blow out the water above the plug.

Back