When To Let Apprentice Run Calls Alone?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never unless it’s to pick up lunch

But drain cleaning isn’t plumbing in my state. So it’s up to the boss when he can go alone.

In California an apprentice can run calls on the first day if he's working for someone with a contractor's license. Obviously it's not a good idea but I believe it's legal.

How does licensing work in Cali? Are you individually licensed or does the contractor hold the license? What are training requirements like?

In California an apprentice can run calls on the first day if he's working for someone with a contractor's license. Obviously it's not a good idea but I believe it's legal.
Thats crazy if you stop and consider what they’re allowing.

I know many who practice this here in Cal. As long as the newbie understands his limitations, and has direct contact with the licensed plumber, I don't have a problem with it.

We have 2nd year apprentices doing service calls on a college campus, we/ they know their limitations so we give them those calls
and also push their limitations BUT they know to we are within a 2 way radio call or a phone call if they don't feel comfortable

If unlicensed people are going out doing work without direct supervision on the job then licenses don’t mean squat.

I know many who practice this here in Cal. As long as the newbie understands his limitations, and has direct contact with the licensed plumber, I don't have a problem with it.
That’s exactly how I understand it,and it’s always worked out.

"Direct Supervision" is pretty vague, purposely!
Direct supervision here means a journeyman has to be on the job with the apprentice. An apprentice isn’t apprenticing if he’s alone, he’s journeymaning 😬

I know a few kids that start at a plumbing company, who have never held a pipe wrench. They can still do a quick fill valve replacement or set a toilet.

I know a few kids that start at a plumbing company, who have never held a pipe wrench. They can still do a quick fill valve replacement or set a toilet.
If I call a plumber and pay plumber rates then I want a plumber at my house.

...but who really asks? You call in a professional, you assume they themselves have a license.

My buddy just had his main sewer line replaced. This "kid" picked up 6 laborers from Home Depot, trenched the line, kid connected both ends, and were done. Bill was $8k, and i guarantee there wasn't a plumber within 5 miles of the site.

...but who really asks? You call in a professional, you assume they themselves have a license.

My buddy just had his main sewer line replaced. This "kid" picked up 6 laborers from Home Depot, trenched the line, kid connected both ends, and were done. Bill was $8k, and i guarantee there wasn't a plumber within 5 miles of the site.
I get my peaches down in Georgia ……

This same plumber gave my neighbor a quote for a leaking 1" main water line last month. He wanted $5k to dig 20 feet, 18" down. My neighbor hired an unlicensed guy who dug up and replaced his water main, and ripped all the grass from his front yard, then re-landscaping, and laying new sod, for the same price. Plumbers have overcharged my city a bit too much, and we've been forced to use "Southern Labor."

This same plumber gave my neighbor a quote for a leaking 1" main water line last month. He wanted $5k to dig 20 feet, 18" down. My neighbor hired an unlicensed guy who dug up and replaced his water main, and ripped all the grass from his front yard, then re-landscaping, and laying new sod, for the same price. Plumbers have overcharged my city a bit too much, and we've been forced to use "Southern Labor."
Your neighbor didn’t get three estimates ? Of course he didn’t.

If a guy is shopping on price then he will never hire anyone licensed.

I get my cheese from California…….🤪🤣

Last edited:
All our plumbers communicate with the others, so im guessing their quotes were all about the same.

Latest posts

Back