What Has Caused This Water Leak?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cv000000

Reaction score
Hello everyone recently a friend over my house has taken a shower in the upstairs shower the last few days. Right below the shower this was found

563DEB4E-2CB6-4781-8B21-BF29EF504BAC.jpeg

the shower is right above this with water also dripping down a little at that vent.

infrared showed that entire ceiling had water all over it.

currently drying it.

at the upstairs shower area this area was the most wet

19857597-5379-4A66-81B0-D8F84A3DB0D6.jpeg05C3FCF2-C127-4749-BC4E-22577B095696.jpeg

as you can see with a 99% rating under that tile.

also in the corner right near the shower door

C8BD251C-9DB0-4DC7-8684-04C6E8293983.jpeg

dry wall chipping due to water.

question is from where?

now my friend told me the door was broken and didn’t close all the way. It closed about 80-90% which I verified and then he said he didn’t think it was a big deal so closed it as much as he could which was 90% basically and placed a towel down.

that towel was soaked by the way.

now the question is that what really caused this? Or was there some other overlying issue with the pipes etc causing this?

anyone have any ideas?

why is that area that99% not drying at all.

that bathroom is about 85-90 degrees and we’ve been drying for 3 days and nothing is drying there any ideas.

Thanks

It's the shower door,if it doesn't close and the floor is wet,the wooden base board and sheet rock show signs of water,that's were to start,you need to grout that area were it's missing water will leak thru that the way it is

It's the shower door,if it doesn't close and the floor is wet,the wooden base board and sheet rock show signs of water,that's were to start,you need to grout that area were it's missing water will leak thru that the way it is
Would caulking the area be good enough?
My one friend said he’s not convinced that the door open a little has resulted in this much water flying all over the place.

it was 3-4 days of showers worth though,

Turn the shower on, with the shower head pointed away from the door, see if it splashes out,your should grout, with someone in the shower water is gonna splash off and go anywhere,if you want to just test the shower base and the drain connection, there is a fitting you can buy at home Depot that fits into the drain then you tighten it to hold the water in the base leave it over nite and see what happens

Turn the shower on, with the shower head pointed away from the door, see if it splashes out,your should grout, with someone in the shower water is gonna splash off and go anywhere,if you want to just test the shower base and the drain connection, there is a fitting you can buy at home Depot that fits into the drain then you tighten it to hold the water in the base leave it over nite and see what happens
So we just ran the shower for 15 minutes with the door closed. Area has stayed dry.

will check faucet in a few days but most likely seems to be the door.

I had a similar problem where water leaked out from between the shower base and the side walls. Some water appeared on the tile floor but most damage was to adjacent drywall.
20211102_121445~2.jpg

Sometimes a shower won't leak with nobody in there. After someone takes a shower then check to see if there
is any water or moisture.

Sometimes a shower won't leak with nobody in there. After someone takes a shower then check to see if there
is any water or moisture.
Noted.

from the drying perspective do you think the thermal images showed that everything dried fine?

If that spot on your ceiling is the only thing showing you probably caught it in time. I think people put something
call kilz on it. Not sure on name but then you can paint over it later. Make sure you fixed the leak.

If that spot on your ceiling is the only thing showing you probably caught it in time. I think people put something
call kilz on it. Not sure on name but then you can paint over it later. Make sure you fixed the leak.
Yeah I saw kilz videos seemed to show it works pretty good.

hooefully painting won’t be reneeded for such a small spot

Like tomfohio said the last test will be to use the shower normally making sure the door is closed
We just did it with the door closed everything seems fine, faucet seems well too.

must have just been 4 days of 30 min showers(yes he took long showers) with the door open a inch.

Rent :)

did the sensor readings look good to you?

not sure if those 3 spots in the hallway
Not really qualified to say. From a common sense perspective the 'before' readings looked like "Oh, sh?t!", and the after readings looked like you'd dried things up.

Showers put out a ton of water if the curtain or door aren't properly closed so even though it looks like you've resolved the leaks at the seams, if the door closing is still problematic more trouble is likely at some point. I'd make sure the door isn't sagging and that the hinges/mating surfaces are clean and lubricated some how. Not sure what the best lube for that would be (maybe silicone grease or lithium?)

PS: 30 minute showers? The Marine in me just shudders at such indulgence! ;)

Not really qualified to say. From a common sense perspective the 'before' readings looked like "Oh, sh?t!", and the after readings looked like you'd dried things up.

Showers put out a ton of water if the curtain or door aren't properly closed so even though it looks like you've resolved the leaks at the seams, if the door closing is still problematic more trouble is likely at some point. I'd make sure the door isn't sagging and that the hinges/mating surfaces are clean and lubricated some how. Not sure what the best lube for that would be (maybe silicone grease or lithium?)

PS: 30 minute showers? The Marine in me just shudders at such indulgence! ;)
Yeah door is fully fixed, ran the shower 10 mins.

I’ll be taking a shower Using that one tomorrow after plumber confirms faucet also looks good.

yes I told him he’s giving me half for the water bill.

Back