Well water filter suggestions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNate

Reaction score
I have an outdoor greenhouse that has water connected straight from the well. Our water has high amounts of iron in it so I had it go through a 2 stage water filter (commonly used for RVs and such) to hopefully filter at least most of it out. The input is straight from the well and the output is my garden hose and other things that use water for the greenhouse.

After researching, the best I could come up with at the time was a sediment cartridge in the first stage and a cartridge with a mix of Activated Carbon and KDF 85 (these are 2.5 x 10" cartridges). It didn't seem to help much.

Any recommendations for either filter media or a different filter overall that isn't large and won't lower water pressure super significantly? Or are my options pretty slim for the situation?

Also to add, I believe we have Ferrous iron, water is clear initially. It stains everything orange if allowed to dry on surfaces multiple times.

You might look at aeration. Seems to work well with iron and sulfur. You can even treat it in the well and not have the pump or anything dealing with the iron. Look for the Sulfur Eliminator or call they guy that makes them, as he is very familiar with your problem.

Back