Watts Hot Water Recirculating System

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if I had to choose between a push button or a motion detector then it’s the motion all day everrrrrry day.
Everybody has their own opinion. But I don't want to run my pump when it isn't needed, either on a motion detector or on a timer during certain parts of the day or 24/7.

Nor do I want to run gas lines around my basement and have to install a separate flue for just a water heater too far away from my furnace.

That’s why I could never buy a house. I’ve built every house I’ve ever owned. I rented from 18-22 yrs old.

IMO for a house a circ pump is a work around for poor design.

Everybody has their own opinion.
I get paid for mine in the plumbing world. I like that ✌️

People are usually really happy if they follow my advice. But people can get use to almost anything, especially pushing a button and waiting for hot water. Personally it would drive me slap crazy and that wouldn’t take much, I live just around the corner.

I get paid for mine in the plumbing world. I like that ✌️

People are usually really happy if they follow my advice. But people can get use to almost anything, especially pushing a button and waiting for hot water. Personally it would drive me slap crazy and that wouldn’t take much, I live just around the corner.
Yeah, a lot of people pay for opinions when they don't have the expertise on issues which they have.

And I'm very rarely waiting for hot water because I'm doing the prep work for why I'm wanting hot water. :)

If you talk to yourself slot then just get Alexa and set your pump up on it.

Alexa Turn on hot water.

That’s how one guy I know has his set up. He eats a lot psychedelic mushrooms, the fake ones they sell at gas stations here. He’s a weird cat

If you talk to yourself slot then just get Alexa and set your pump up on it.

Alexa Turn on hot water.

That’s how one guy I know has his set up. He eats a lot psychedelic mushrooms, the fake ones they sell at gas stations here. He’s a weird cat
Naw, once I get my DeltaV system up and running, I'm working on a telepathic add-on so all I have to do is think hot water. 🤣

You can have those smart switches controlled by an inexpensive Amazon Alexa. Like an Echo Dot. Just tell it, Alexa, turn on hot water pump.

I’m a fan of a return line and passive recirculating water when you have “head” in your system and someone thought about it during the home build. It wasn’t instant hot water at the distant 2nd floor bathroom but very little waiting. No pumps, timers or valves.

So has anyone used the pump with thermostatic control? That sounds like a winner to me…

So has anyone used the pump with thermostatic control? That sounds like a winner to me…
Yes. But you’re still keeping the line hot all the time and it’s cycling on/off more.

So you aren’t wasting water, but you are still wasting(/using) energy to keep the pipes hot and run the pump. I guess that’s the tradeoff

When I installed my recirc system, my natural gas bill was $12 a month, and my water was $80 a month. These days, my gas bill is $90 a month, and my water bill is $60 a month. Obviously, the higher the NG price becomes, the less I want to use the recirc system. As WPNS stated, we need to weigh the cost vs. benefits.

When I installed my recirc system, my natural gas bill was $12 a month, and my water was $80 a month. These days, my gas bill is $90 a month, and my water bill is $60 a month. Obviously, the higher the NG price becomes, the less I want to use the recirc system. As WPNS stated, we need to weigh the cost vs. benefits.
Sorry not believing that $78/month of NG is standby losses due to recirculating hot water!

In my Michigan home (2-story, 3100 square feet) my winter gas bill rarely exceeded $200 and that was only in an exceedingly frigid January and or February. (Below freezing most of the time and straight temps below zero too frequently.) We had a 125,000 btu furnace, a gas stove used all the time, along with a water heater with passive recirculation. Gas prices fluctuate monthly of course…but aside from some spikes it’s been pretty consistent since 2015. Big spike in 2022 but every price spike followed by a fall. Highest ever 2005.

I never said the amount of NG I used was due to standby losses from a recirculating hot water system. I was simply stating that my entire natural gas bill has gone from $12 a month up to $133 a month, based on my latest gas bill which I received just this morning.

I never said the amount of NG I used was due to standby losses from a recirculating hot water system. I was simply stating that my entire natural gas bill has gone from $12 a month up to $133 a month, based on my latest gas bill which I received just this morning.
It’s because you’re wasteful. Think green dude, think about the future generations while you’re pumping your hot water to your tap. Geeeeeeezzzzzzz

Yep, plug in those Bidenmobiles, where monthly, we get notifications to please not charge your green machines, because we don't have a sufficient power grid. Just take the day off, no problem.

Latest posts

Back