Water supply line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkmac

Reaction score
We have a home built in 1800s and would like to bring water from the basement supply line to the 2nd floor.
We would like to run this up a outside wall as we have very old plaster walls & ceilings.
We are in CT and all it’s winter weather.
Is there a way to insulate, heat wrap & enclose to prevent freezing?

I live in mass, I replaced a shower valve that was in a garage wall was about 25° when I did it and it was heat traced it's been at least 10 years and it's still working fine, I wonder while the bay is open could you have just that bay spray foam insulated???

I live in mass, I replaced a shower valve that was in a garage wall was about 25° when I did it and it was heat traced it's been at least 10 years and it's still working fine, I wonder while the bay is open could you have just that bay spray foam insulated???
Can I put the drain pipe outside the house down to the ground and connect to the sewer line?

1.) run the line, using a "nice" way to support it that allows the FULL coverage of at least 1'' wall thickness pipe insulation, using "proper" brackets

2.) use this:
https://www.danfoss.com/en-us/produ...ipe-freeze-protection-self-regulating-cables/
place the wire "touching" the pipe, and fully wrap the heat tape to the pipe with electrical tape or weatherproof duct tape, a couple of feet into the basement, and a couple of feet back into the house wherever you come in on the second floor

3.) Cover the entire pipe and fittings with the above mentioned pipe insulation, ensuring that there are no air gaps and use something like Lexel caulking to ensure airflow cannot touch the pipe.

4.) I would adivse installing a ball valve and a low point drain, just incase you lose power, oh yeah and make sure the heat tape is plugged in a working

Latest posts

Back