Water Supply Connection for House and Irrigation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasontf

Reaction score
I'm installing an irrigation system and I need to replace the tee that goes into my house to use one side for my sprinklers (instead of an existing hose bib). The existing installation is 3/4" copper pipe (from the meter) to a compression fitting, then the main shutoff 1", then a galvanized union 1", then the tee into the house and hose bib. When I replace the tee, must I use galvanized again? I would prefer pvc with threaded connections, but this is above ground. If I wrap it in pipe insulation and electrical tape, will it be to code? This is PVC after the main house shutoff just outside the structure.

I am not a big fan of galvanized, but I am even less of a fan of threaded PVC connections, ESPECIALLY where the connections might be exposed to damage. I would replace with galvanized or brass.

I have read that galvanized to brass could cause some issues with corrosion. If I replace the 1x1x1/2" tee with a brass 1x1x1" tee, then how should I connect to the galvanized house piping?

Galv to copper causes galvanic action or Electrolysis, but brass as a transition to copper or Wirsbo is a good solution. Replacing everything with Galv works too:)

Back