Water pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the cold side, run as large a pipe as you like to the fixtures. Won't give you any problems.

On a small home with all of the fixtures close to the water heater, it won't matter too much if you run 3/4" to all of the fixtures.

But if you have a bathroom 60' of pipe length away from the water heater, do yourself a huge favor and run 1/2" over to it. It takes a long time to clear out the cold water from a such a long run of pipe, running the hot line in 3/4" will cause it to take roughly twice as long to get hot water to the bathroom, and you will waste more energy as well.

:eek:

My learned factoid of the day... :D

Now will the reduced hot supply line cause any volume problems with many faucets installed downstream?

Now will the reduced hot supply line cause any volume problems with many faucets installed downstream?

For a standard bathroom with 1 sink and 1 tub/shower combo, you will not notice any difference than if the supply were to be run in 3/4". Especially considering the fact that you don't run the hot to the sink and the hot to the shower at the same time in a typical small bathroom.

If it is a big master bath with a fancy shower and tub, 2 sinks, etc, than both hot and cold need to be at least 3/4". And I have plumbed a few master baths with their own personal 80 gallon heater, and 1" cold feed. Just the shower alone can use more than 15 gallons per minute in some of these bathrooms.

For a standard bathroom with 1 sink and 1 tub/shower combo, you will not notice any difference than if the supply were to be run in 3/4". Especially considering the fact that you don't run the hot to the sink and the hot to the shower at the same time in a typical small bathroom.

If it is a big master bath with a fancy shower and tub, 2 sinks, etc, than both hot and cold need to be at least 3/4". And I have plumbed a few master baths with their own personal 80 gallon heater, and 1" cold feed. Just the shower alone can use more than 15 gallons per minute in some of these bathrooms.

I agree with this IF the main trunk from the water heater is 3/4
if the whole hot system is 1/2 i do not agree at all

when you turn on the kitchen sink or start a tub of laundry
the poor sob in the shower will holler loud!!!!!

High water pressure is major cause of leaks, pipe damage, and wasted water.
While some might consider high water pressure a good thing, water pressure that is too high can cause annoying and expensive damage.

Hvac Parts Warehouse
New York , United States

if you have a bathroom 60' away from the water heater

you need another water heater.

in big houses, that have 2 bathrooms on one end

and the master/ ks/ laundry on the other end

I install 2 40 gallon heaters. 1 above master bath

the other inbetween the 2 baths

OR.. a circ line from water heater to fartherest fixture

HrmSZzr.jpg

Last edited:
Back