Water meter connection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlepouce

Reaction score
Updating my home to PEX. Old galvanized pipe throughout. Looking at the connection to water meter currently and what to use to connect PEX. Will a PEX to FIP connector work or do I need a water meter connector?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Meter1.jpg
    Meter1.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 22
  • coupler2.jpg
    coupler2.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 22
  • coupler.jpg
    coupler.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Should have gotten a better picture, this one shows everything a little better. Was hoping that I could go to the red circled connection. If not I will have to use the green circle.

Thank you for the assistance!

Attachments

• Meter_LI.jpg
    Meter_LI.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Thank you very much!! Was hoping for red, but will make it work. One more stupid question, is there a washer or o-ring at the red connection or is it just one half of a union?

there is a washer, try a washer from a hose, lol
Thank you, rubber hose washers are always sitting around. Not sure if this would have changed the washer when they changed the water meter about 10 years ago.

Thanks House Doc. I measured the connector to be a 3/4" connector, but will measure it again. If that is correct, diameter should close to a hose connector. I know that other homes have bigger meters that have 1" or larger connections.
A hose washer is too small. I think the last time I had to replace one (30+ years) I had to get it from my wholesaler.

Last edited:
He has a meter setter. The outlet from it should be a standard pipe thread. No washers to disturb, if he just turns off the gate valve, and connects to the end of the setter. The meter setter is copper/brass and should be fine.

He may need to rig a support on the outlet end, because the steel pipe is stiff, and the PEX isn’t. But the meter setter itself, may have a support pedestal built in.

And, the setter typically belongs to the water company, so talk to them before doing anything.

Last edited:
when the water is turned off, they remove the washer and slip in a washer with out a hole to stop the non payer from stealing
Actually, we used to install a meter setter which had a shutoff Built in. If we needed to shut off the service, we would close it and put a special lock on it. If the customer broke of the lock, and turned it back on, we dug up the street and shut it off at the corp stop. They then had to pay for the crew time to dig and re-dig the hole, and patch the street.

Actually, we used to install a meter setter which had a shutoff Built in. If we needed to shut off the service, we would close it and put a special lock on it. If the customer broke of the lock, and turned it back on, we dug up the street and shut it off at the corp stop. They then had to pay for the crew time to dig and re-dig the hole, and patch the street.
around here, they stopped with the fake washer, now they lock the curb stop
then if it escalates they remove the meter.

Back