water level electrode?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenzic

Reaction score
I have a low output well with an above ground tank to use as a buffer so I don't run out of water when my demand is higher than the well can meet. This tank has these electrodes (or whatever they're called) at two heights to tell the pump when to cut on and off. As you can see from the picture, one has corroded after 20+ years in my hard water. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to even call this thing to begin looking for a replacement. I imagine I'll have to figure out what voltage/current flows through it to find the right replacement.

Anyone know where to find something like this and what it's properly called?

Thanks
PXL_20221106_161837957.jpg

A "pump up" float switch is much easier to deal with than probes. Here is a drawing. You don't even need the relay if the float switch is rated for enough amps to handle the size of motor.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

If it's just an electrode, then all the magic happens in the control box it's connected to, and you can replace it with a stainless steel bolt insulated from the pipe. How many wires go to each of your 'electrodes'? If its just one, then it's just a rusted piece of metal, replace it with a shiny new piece of metal.

Current and voltage through those electrodes is going to be minimal I'd imagine a few millivolts, and probably AC to keep galvanic action to a minimum.

Thank you all for the responses. I wondered if it was just a metal contract with no smarts. My son just got married last night, so I've been distracted helping them get everything set up for the wedding, but now I can get back to solving this one.

Thank you all,
Jerry

Back