Water Hammer After Replacing Clothes Washer Solenoid and Fill LInes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmort

Reaction score
I replaced the fill solenoid valves on our washing machine and while I was at it decided to replace the old rubber hose with the newer style with stainless steel mesh on the outside to reinforce it and prevent it from bursting. The old hoses were probably around twenty years old or more.

The washer worked fine, but now there was water hammer. I suppose the old hoses had more give and acted as an arrestor.

So I saw some small Sioux arrestors that mount right on the hose fittings on the washers and you hook the fill hoses to them. It may have worked a little, but still a lot of water hammer.

In another house I had PVC pluming made some that of just a length of capped vertical pipe. I did it under a kitchen sink which supplied a one handled sink and a dishwaseher with solenoid valves and I think I eventually did the same for the washer, which was located pretty much right below the kitchen sink and off the same line.

I have heard that these type will eventually lose the air cushion as over time air will slowly dissolve in the water which is continuosly getting replaced and eventually will fill with water and be of no use. I assume the commercial ones have a bladder or rubber septum or something. On the other had the little Sioux mini ones don't do the job.o

I wonder if I could just make something bigger out of PVC and just mount it to the wall or the floor joists about (unfinished basement) and then attach with hoses. Maybe just drain all the lines every once in a while or maybe install a little drain valve on the arrestors.

I also wonder if there might be some sort of fitting for PVC with a membrane or an air bladder you could inset inside the pipe.

The little Sioux arrstors were hard to attach because the hose fittings were in the back of the washer and hard to get at or see and were in the way of one another so hard to tighten.

There is a good deal of room behind the washer though. Both behind and above, PVC is cheap and easy to work with and there are hose fittings, etc for it.

Anyone have any thoughts.

Turn the volume down on the on/off water valves. Throttle them down. I realize these valves are not meant to throttle flow…….but so what.

It’ll take longer to fill up but it’ll reduce or eliminate the hammering.

Try it and see if it helps.

You could check your overall pressure, it should be no more than 80psi.

Homemade air chambers are not the answer.

Turn the volume down on the on/off water valves. Throttle them down. I realize these valves are not meant to throttle flow…….but so what.

It’ll take longer to fill up but it’ll reduce or eliminate the hammering.

Try it and see if it helps.

You could check your overall pressure, it should be no more than 80psi.

Homemade air chambers are not the answer.
That's a great idea. I'll try that before I do anything else.

Latest posts

Back