Washing machine in basement - Drain pump / Check Valve question.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
We have a septic system. The washing machine is in the basement now, but want to move to the other side of the hall. It is currently draining to a different drain. I want to put a bathtub in that location (different drain though) so don't want to plumb to the exiting drain if possible.

Sorry about my drawing, but hopefully it will help.

On the main floor there is a toilet that drains with a 4" PVC pipe. I think it is the only thing on that drain. It goes into the basement floor along side a bunch of other drains. There is a cleanout where it goes into the basement floor.

Essentially, there is no drainage on the other side of the hall (well there is, see below)

I found info on a drain pump. Seems like it would work fine. The question I have is about the check valve.

If I just T into the exiting 4" toilet drain, can I run the plumbing like in the picture. No vent.. I don't need a utility sink, but can put one in if need be.

FYI. It is a straight run from left to right in the picture.

The green plumbing will be about 8 feet from the basement floor. Have dropped ceilings so easy to work ;)

I have done a bunch of DIY stuff, including plumbing.

So:

1) Is this OK as drawn (no vent)? I am assuming the toilet is vented somehow.
2) Where (height wise) should I T into the 4" PVC. Can do at any height.
3) If I need to add a vent, can I just run a PVC pipe into the basement ceiling. (a bit higher then the plumbing)
4) Any suggestions on a Check Valve?
5) Any suggestions on the drain pump?

drain_pump.jpg

On to the "see below"

So there is a kitchen sink in the same room. It was added and plumbed into the kitchen sink from upstairs. Unfortunately, water seems to come up into the sink when the upstairs sink is draining (with a fair amount of water) or the dishwasher runs. This was done by the previous owners. There is no vent on it either. It ties into the upstairs plumbing pretty low (close to the ground). They put in a shutoff valve on the drain, so I assume they figured out the problem. We don't use it, so just shut the valve.

My guess is that a check valve would also solve this problem. And / Or possibly adding a vent (to the sink level).

Anyway, I thought is would be nice if I could drain the washing machine into that, but real plumbers said I should not mix kitchen and washing machine plumbing. Think it is 2", but not 100% sure. The main drain is actually in another room (about 5 feet away).

Based on the drain size, the fact that it is kitchen plumbing and that the exiting sink is backing up already, I don't think this is a good idea.

I understand your basic question, but I cannot get a clear picture of your existing and future layout.

?? It is currently draining to a different drain. I want to put a bathtub in that location (different drain though) so don't want to plumb to the exiting drain if possible. ??

Maybe a sketch would help?

?? On the main floor there is a toilet that drains with a 4" PVC pipe. I think it is the only thing on that drain. It goes into the basement floor along side a bunch of other drains. There is a cleanout where it goes into the basement floor. ??

I assume you mean there are several pipes going through the basement floor when you say, "a bunch of other drains"? If that is what you mean, understand that some of those pipes may not be drains, but are vent pipes.

Not to be offensive, but when you say you "have done a bunch of DIY stuff, including plumbing", and yet talk about running "a PVC pipe into the basement ceiling" for a vent, and adding "a check valve" to resolve a backup in a basement kitchen sink, and "T into the exiting 4" toilet drain", perhaps you need a little more understanding of basic plumbing principles of operation before tackling this job.

If you can provide a little better description of your current installation and future plans, I and I'm sure the forum members would like to help.

But bottom line, my suggestion for your washing machine is to install a laundry sink to accept the washer discharge and pump the water from it to the main sewer. These pumps come with check valves and descriptions of installation requirements. The connection to the sewer line cannot be a tee, but must be a wye.

@MicEd69

Thanks for the reply. No offense taken. The whole point of these forums and people helping is to get help. Sorry if I am using the wrong terminology for a "T". I understand that I need the correct connector.

What I am proposing is my "future plans". Can you not see the attached image. I know it is rough, but it should show what I am trying to do.

Your "bottom line" is really what I am after. If I need to add the sink, I will. The pumps coming with check valves is what I need to know, but when reading descriptions on some of them, they say they need a vent.

Latest posts

Back