Vent pipe leaking from bottom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaaade

Reaction score
hello. the pipe that goes from house through the roof, from my research it seems that it is called a vent pipe. well, this pipe has started leaking at the bottom (see image) when i run my dish washer. the dish washer is about 20 feet away from that location. my bathroom tub area also gurgles when i run my dish washer. the tub area is in a room behind that wall where you see the vent pipe. not sure if proximity is important but i thought i'd add this info. this is my immediate question. but also have other issues like the toilet where the tub is behind that wall, is not flushing properly any more. it drains slowly and water goes down, but it doesn't have any suction and/or pressure to flush. already changed the flushing kit with no improvement.

there is no sewer odor or any other unusual odor. there is another bathroom separated by one wall right next to that problem bathroom and things work just fine there. toilet flushes, no gurgling or any water drainage problems there.

by the time i took the picture the water has drained out and can't see it. when dishwasher is running, water continually and visibly spews out of that bottom part of the pipe.

thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20221225_112611439.jpg
    IMG_20221225_112611439.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221225_112621849_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221225_112621849_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
If water is coming up from that vent conection, then the waste is backing up to that height and is not flowing through the sewer like it should. As they say, s##t flows downhill.

You have a partial blockage somewhere in your underground sewer lines. The partial blockage apparently is in a section that only affects the drains you are commenting about.

If water is coming up from that vent conection, then the waste is backing up to that height and is not flowing through the sewer like it should. As they say, s##t flows downhill.

You have a partial blockage somewhere in your underground sewer lines. The partial blockage apparently is in a section that only affects the drains you are commenting about.
Turn the water on then go to the cleanout cap near your vent and see if that fills up , hopefully it's piped so you can snake in both directions
really appreciate the input.. when running water from sink faucet in the bathroom behind that vent pipe wall, sure enough the bottom of that pipe fills up just like when i run the dishwasher. never even tried to check for this. but the cleanouts have no activity of water filling. like it was suggested looks like i have a backup/blockage. which part do i try to snake? when you say both direction, i assume the bathroom sink then one of the cleanout areas? attached video and a couple of pics.

Attachments

• VID20221225132858.mp4
    9 MB
  • IMG20221225132916.jpg
    IMG20221225132916.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221225132940.jpg
    IMG20221225132940.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
What Geofd means is that hopefully you can snake in both directions from those cleanouts.

It is strange to see two cleanouts that close together in the same sewer line, so it may be that they are on two different sewer lines that connect further downstream. That would make sense and that the blockage is only in one of them.

Good luck.

What Geofd means is that hopefully you can snake in both directions from those cleanouts.

It is strange to see two cleanouts that close together in the same sewer line, so it may be that they are on two different sewer lines that connect further downstream. That would make sense and that the blockage is only in one of them.

Good luck.
ohhh i see. thank you guys very much. from some online research it looks like there is a special tool you could user to clean this stuff out. all i have is a 20 foot snake thing. i will try that then. from my research it also makes sense that the clog is under the house since the water doesn't even get to the cleanouts. very interesting. thank you again very much.

Latest posts

Back