Unknown object in Hotel Drain Piping.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, first time posting here. I am a Area Director of Engineering over 21 hotels across the Midwest/Northeast US. I was hoping someone could help tell me what the purpose of this cast iron plug is for in this wye. The property was told it was for fire suppression, it is held in the wye by some type of plastic. The Chief Engineer is saying it melts the plastic holding it in place and plugs up the line not allowing any air to come up the sewer pipe. He is also saying this is serving the roof drains. He is also saying they are on every floor. I do not visit the property for another month and was hoping to figure out what this is before I head that way. The hotel is also in Ohio. Thank you.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Resized_20240415_151146_1713208367474.jpeg
    Resized_20240415_151146_1713208367474.jpeg
    718.8 KB · Views: 1
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 1
I was told by a fire inspector in Ohio that it is an old school fire stop that they used to put in vent stacks and roof drain piping. I still cannot find anything online. He was going to try to find some information for me.

Back