Tub spout removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFBonnett

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
The diverter in the tub spout at my daughter's condo really doesn't divert much more than half the water to the shower head. There doesn't seem to be any way to repair the diverter, so replacement seems to be in order.
Therein lies the rub. The spout is the type that has the slot underneath at the wall to access some sort of retaing mechanism. There doesn't seem to be any sort of mechanism, and the spout threaded or pressed on. I tried considerable force with a strap wrench to no avail. I was reluctant to apply more pressure for fear of breaking something off inside the wall. I thought of using a Dremel with a cut off wheel to just cut the thing apart so I could see what I am up against. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Try poking your pinky finger up into the slot, and see if you feel the head of an Allen screw (hex head). Loosening that a couple of turns should allow you to pull the spout straight off.

If there is not a screw that clamps it onto the pipe coming out of the wall, than it SHOULD be a thread on, which should have come loose with the strap wrench. These two types are the only ones that I have run into.

If you just can't get it off, I think that you have the right idea of dissecting to see what you are dealing with before you break out the sledgehammer.

Cut the spout about an inch or so from the wall. This will be past the allen set screw, if there is one. If it is threaded on, there may be mineral deposits causing the difficulty in removal. If it is a slip on spout, there is also an O-ring that seals the spout to the pipe. This should be an easy to remove step.

Pics or it didnt happen... This could turn out to be very helpful to many people...

Pics or it didnt happen... This could turn out to be very helpful to many people...

Wish I could. My digital camera, a hand-me-down from the above referenced daughter, seems to have soiled the proverbial bedding this very day.
I'll do what I can, however. I can say with a certainty that there is no set screw. I'll post results as soon as I have some.

Amazingly, Canon is still covering the issue I have with the Camera even though it is out of warranty so pictures may be available when I get going on this. It's just a matter of getting to it. It's the second bathroom and the shower is only used by company.
If anyone has any other ideas on how to tackle this problem, I'd be really grateful to hear them.

Ok, I had my silly post, now for my serious post...

I had this same problem once and it was the o-ring on the plug that blocks the spout when the knob is pulled up... I know you have already checked, but I found a screw inside the spout outlet and that let me get the plug out, change the o-ring and reinstall...

G/L with this one....

..... I found a screw inside the spout outlet and that let me get the plug out, change the o-ring and reinstall....

I didn't look there. All I could feel inside the the spout outlet is the diverter flap thing. I'll have to get on my back inside the tub and look up into the spout.
Thanks for the tip.

Back