Tub Drain won’t unscrew

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evensteven

Reaction score
I have been working all day trying to get the old tub drain unscrewed. I tried everything I could find online, WD40, heat, I pulled the lip up and scrapped out as much of the putty as I could. The drain is old and does not have cross members but had two vertical indents so I put a pry bar in and tried every degree of pressure I could. The pry bar ripped a track around the drain about a quarter of a turn but still it will not budge. I was able to get the pry bar putted back out but at this point don’t know what to do. Should I try cutting it out. I am very nervous about ruining the threading on the other piece. image.jpg

I cut mine with a sawz-all metal blade from the top. They get so rusted you'll not be able to unscrew is what I experienced. I was able to get to the pipe underneath through the adjacent cabinet. My tub was on a slab and very tight to put the replacement back in. I had to replace the whole enchilada but it needed it desperately too. Once it was cut it fell apart. I did mine to renew the tub with acrylic kit.... it turned out flawless and looked brand new. Still looks awesome compared to what it was.

I cut mine with a sawz-all metal blade from the top. They get so rusted you'll not be able to unscrew is what I experienced. I was able to get to the pipe underneath through the adjacent cabinet. My tub was on a slab and very tight to put the replacement back in. I had to replace the whole enchilada but it needed it desperately too. Once it was cut it fell apart. I did mine to renew the tub with acrylic kit.... it turned out flawless and looked brand new. Still looks awesome compared to what it was.
Is there a way to cut out the screw in drain part only without having to replace the piping with the threading.

I have had success with a 1/2" drive tub extractor using an impact gun on the stubborn ones.

Is there a way to cut out the screw in drain part only without having to replace the piping with the threading.
You can, carefully. Compare the replacement with what you have. Just cut the existing enough to bend the metal in on itself to remove it in pieces. If you can pry the lip up that may be enough to grasp with vice grips...but the threaded part will be fragile from rusting too. Brass is not very forgiving but may not have rusted entirely.

Use a dremel tool and and use some good eye protection. If you cut too deep you’ll ruin the fitting underneath the tub( tub shoe) that the strainer (shoe strainer) you’re trying to remove screws into.

Last edited:
Back