Tool responsibilities- Employer/employee

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a First year apprentice plumber. I work for 2 different plumbers and a general contractor, as my full time employer has been slow. I have worked in various construction industry's over my working life. 6 years. Currently mid 20s in age.

I have purchased all my own tools over this time. Packouts to store. All fuel gear m18 and 12. 2 drills 2 impacts. 4 in 1 drill. Grinder, 3 in cut off wheel, hackzall, multi-tool, hole saws 24 mixed total. Diablo auger bits, spades and self feeders. All necessary hand tools.

My primary employer is in a new development now so work will be speeding up. He remarked on me bring my own tools to the jobsite. Saying nothing is covered if it breaks. Which I in part agree. The power tools are warranted and should be covered and have a good life. "In a perfect world" as we all know one of our most valued rough in tool is the holesaw. So finally the question if I am using my holesaw on his jobs only and they burn up or need replacement should he replace them?

We have tools in the trailer. Not enough for 2 people to do a rough in without stress. My employer the owner bids and does paperwork. He does not go in the field. He is very keen on doing rough ins as fast as possible without sacrificing speed. Which one complete set of holesaws and other mixed sizes on the trailer does not meet our demand. When we both are drilling out.

* I am not bad mouthing my employer. The foreman I work with is awesome if he wasn't I would have gave notice when we didn't have work for 3 weeks. The other plumber I work for when we are slow loves that I bring my own tools and occasionally gifts hackzall blades. He thinks that my other employer, When we get busy should replace the holesaws when they go bad.

I would love to hear thoughts and feedback. And if there are questions I would love to answer them.

This is my first post. Please no negativity. Constructive feed back appreciated

If you choose to use your tools and drill bits then you’re on your own if they wear out or break. I suggest leaving your tools that are not required at home.

Seems this should all be explained at the time of employment. Was bringing your own tools part of the agreement, or do you do so because you like them better? I can understand. I am comfortable with my own tools, but I shouldn't expect the boss to replace my tools, if he has necessary tools onsite.

When I was in the field doing plumbing construction, we brought our own hand tools
The owner would supply all the other stuff occasionally if a company tool broke I would bring in mine, he would/did replace personal power tools,but you have to ask that question then you know where you stand

Employees should only need provide basic big pack of hand tools. Employer (who was me) should provide a truck and all major tools and all bits including say, M12 copper cutter, since it makes copper work go so much faster.
Employer who doesn't provide good drill bits/hole saw sets and power equipment is stupid.
of course, "local customs" may prevail, but in our big metro areas, this is what every plumbing contractor provides.

Seems this should all be explained at the time of employment. Was bringing your own tools part of the agreement, or do you do so because you like them better? I can understand. I am comfortable with my own tools, but I shouldn't expect the boss to replace my tools, if he has necessary tools onsite.
It wasn't talked about in depth. The trailer does not currently have enough tools for two guys to rough in without having to share tools. And some of them are in rough shape. I plan on having a conversation with him about this in time. But we have been slow. Part of my frustration is that the other plumber I help appreciates that I bring my tools and just overall treats me better. The other one has better stock with the trailer. But it just makes me question if I should switch because I don't like being in a place where I don't feel valued for what I bring to the table. Both are great teachers.

Employees should only need provide basic big pack of hand tools. Employer (who was me) should provide a truck and all major tools and all bits including say, M12 copper cutter, since it makes copper work go so much faster.
Employer who doesn't provide good drill bits/hole saw sets and power equipment is stupid.
of course, "local customs" may prevail, but in our big metro areas, this is what every plumbing contractor provides.
Thank you. As a employer. If someone was full time with you and still opted to use his own tools only on your jobs. Would you see it in your best interest to help replace holesaws and other critical tools? Assume that the employe is outstanding and shows up on time every day and goes beyond the expected duties.

I guess the primary concern would be "what if" the vehicle was broken into, and your tools were stolen? Would his insurance cover your tools? Do you yourself carry some type of theft insurance? I know many homeowner's insurance policies will cover incidents such as this, but the price of tools being what they are these days, it would not take long to max out the limits.

I personally believe now it the time to ask these important questions, not after the theft occurs.

I guess the primary concern would be "what if" the vehicle was broken into, and your tools were stolen? Would his insurance cover your tools? Do you yourself carry some type of theft insurance? I know many homeowner's insurance policies will cover incidents such as this, but the price of tools being what they are these days, it would not take long to max out the limits.

I personally believe now it the time to ask these important questions, not after the theft occurs.
I will have to look into this. I do not currently have my tools covered with any sort of insurance. I try my best to take them with me from job to home. Or leave them at the shop in a locked trailer.

Where i live, they just chain up the trailer to the hitch and take everything, lock, stock and barrel.

You seem like a bright, articulate young man. I would sit down with the employer. I would have a clear, concise list of these questions and thoughts. Go over them and ask for clarification and his reasoning. No confrontational tones, etc...just a conversation. Don't quit if you don't get the answers you want. Just take it all in, continue to work hard. If you strongly believe you need more from a job, at some point you have to leave. When you interview for your next job, you will know to ask these questions and use the answers to form an opinion on whether you want to take the job or not. This is all called "growth." Your growth and abilities will continue to gain momentum through the years, your value will increase. One day you will be in charge, and I urge you to remember your situation, it will help you immensely with employee relations if you have a long memory. Good luck and just reading your thoughtful points makes me think you can handle this correctly!

If the boss says your tools are not covered then they’re not covered if the break, get stolen or wear out.

It’s really simple, let the boss supply your holesaws. Holesaws are tools.

There are employees and there are bosses…..know your position and do what you’re told or hit the road.

There’s nothing worse than an employee who thinks they should have input on how a business is ran when the boss has already said how he wants it.

We only had to supply our hand tools such as screw drivers, plyers, hammer and etc. The company furnished all the rest of
the tools needed for the job. If it broke he got it fixed. Everything went on a supplied van that we drove home.

Plumber’s trucks are prime targets every day here in N California bay area. This is where police recommend we look first. Insurance is vital.

Attachments

• Resized_20220628_114015002.jpeg
    Resized_20220628_114015002.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0
I had a company truck stolen about 30 years ago and they cleaned in out clear down to the ash tray and spare
tire. Even took the battery

A local plumber up the street just had his entire rig stolen from his driveway yesterday. He cant work until he replaces $45k of stuff. He set up a Gofundme to pay his bills. Really sucks!

Latest posts

Back