Toilet shut off valve doesn't seem to work right

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replace the valve................................
So a person should replace a valve because it’s multi turn and doesn’t shut off ?

Have you ever replaced a faucet washer ? I’m just asking……

Sorry I disagreed with you.
It’s fine if you disagree if you have a valid reason. I just don’t see advising a person to replace a valve just because the washer is bad or missing.

Especially advising a person who will probably be lucky to get the job done giving consideration that they have little to no experience.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

To all the homeowners reading this forum…….

Never let professional tell you something needs to be replaced without being able or willing to communicate why it needs to be replaced.

I don't like the old valves. If they are hard to turn or leak I replace them with new 1/4 turn ball valves. If you don't like them
don't use them. I can't communicate any more than that. I can't think of anybody around here that doesn't use the 1/4 turns.

You “ don’t like “ isn’t a valid plumbing reason, it’s just your way of practicing plumbing repair. And that’s fine with me……

I’m not against 1/4 turn valves but they’re not the end all be all either. Multiturn valves serve there purpose if they’re used properly and being the Brasscraft brand they’re easily repairable as the parts have been the same for 40 years.

1/4 turn valves have o ring packings that can leak and there’s no repair for that other than total replacement. Total replacement may bring unnecessary work that could be avoided by just replacing a simple washer at the very least to replacing the entire stem assembly at most.

So my reasoning is do the least amount of work that has the highest percentage of the homeowner being successful without letting this snowball into something more complicated and possible catastrophic situation like a flooded house.

You “ don’t like “ isn’t a valid plumbing reason, it’s just your way of practicing plumbing repair. And that’s fine with me……

I’m not against 1/4 turn valves but they’re not the end all be all either. Multiturn valves serve there purpose if they’re used properly and being the Brasscraft brand they’re easily repairable as the parts have been the same for 40 years.

1/4 turn valves have o ring packings that can leak and there’s no repair for that other than total replacement. Total replacement may bring unnecessary work that could be avoided by just replacing a simple washer at the very least to replacing the entire stem assembly at most.

So my reasoning is do the least amount of work that has the highest percentage of the homeowner being successful without letting this snowball into something more complicated and possible catastrophic situation like a flooded house.
Just curious, in your experience, how many 1/4 turn valves have you seen fail versus multiturn valves?

And if you come across a 1/4 turn valve that has failed, do you replace it with a multiturn valve.

Just curious, in your experience, how many 1/4 turn valves have you seen fail versus multiturn valves?

And if you come across a 1/4 turn valve that has failed, do you replace it with a multiturn valve.
There are literally hundreds of thousands more multi turn fixture stop valves in use across the country than 1/4 turn valves so of course I’ve seen more multi turn valves fail.

Multi turn valves are subject to user abuse while 1/4 turn valves are not. So I guess you could say they’re idiot proof. Most people turn valves off way too tight.

Multi turn valves are subject to the washer failing from age if you install them as they come out of the box. Better washers are available and I use them on my stop valves. I also grease the packing and stem.

1/4 turn valves vary greatly in quality. If you use the better ones they’re expensive and they also are subject to fouling due to not being exercised. There is no repair. Depending on the style of inlet connection this can cause a lot of extra work.

Multi turn valves are easily repaired IF they do happen to fail and typically they turn off enough flow even without a washer on the stem to stop the emergency.

I will most definitely replace a 1/4 turn valve with a multi turn, no problem.

I’m hesitant to turn older 1/4 turn valves unless I’m ready to replace them, there’s no repair of the packing or any other part of the valve fails.

For a homeowner it’s an easy fix to just change the washer or install a new stem. Changing the valve leaves many possibilities of problems arising unnecessarily.

I can go through a house and rebuild every multi turn fixture stop in about 20 minutes once the cabinets are cleaned out. and have them functioning like new. Some of these valves are 30-40 years old.

I have a lady right now that wants 4 rebuilt under her kitchen sink and I’ll be doing that job Wednesday morning. I’ll be sure to post some pics to this thread.

I started using 1/4 turn angle stops a while ago, then I started seeing the handle snap off multiple times trying to turn them off. I switched back to multi turn valves.

I always appreciate the advice that Twowaxhack provides. He's so right about pointing out "what if it's cpvc" in the wall? I can attest that from working on my old pool and pond equipment that pvc cracks all the time and you the cracks are invisible to the naked eye. And that's with low pressure. I can't image when a crack would do under 60 psi if you are not home.

Wisdom is priceless so I am happy if Twowaxhack schools me on dumb comments I make. I'm slowly learning from him.

I can go through a house and rebuild every multi turn fixture stop in about 20 minutes once the cabinets are cleaned out. and have them functioning like new. Some of these valves are 30-40 years old.

I have a lady right now that wants 4 rebuilt under her kitchen sink and I’ll be doing that job Wednesday morning. I’ll be sure to post some pics to this thread.
Yes, please post a picture of it. I'm interested in it for my 1957 house. I think most valves have been replaced but I have about 2 or 3 old ones.

1/4 turn valves vary greatly in quality. If you use the better ones they’re expensive and they also are subject to fouling due to not being exercised. There is no repair. Depending on the style of inlet connection this can cause a lot of extra work.
Do multi turn valves also get fouled up if they are not exercised? Wonder if they are better than 1/4 turn in this regard. Thanks.

Do multi turn valves also get fouled up if they are not exercised? Wonder if they are better than 1/4 turn in this regard. Thanks.
They sure will but I can combat that by using grease on the stem and packing gland.

1/4 turn valves can’t be serviced. All valves need exercising.

They sure will but I can combat that by using grease on the stem and packing gland.

1/4 turn valves can’t be serviced. All valves need exercising.
How much longer will multi turn last vs 1/4 turn with the grease and high-quality washer, without exercising? Many of my 1/4 turns (cheap Brasscraft from Home Depot) leak after the first use in 5 years of no exercising. Wondering if multi turns can go longer (without exercising) since you can service them with grease. Thanks.

How much longer will multi turn last vs 1/4 turn with the grease and high-quality washer, without exercising? Many of my 1/4 turns (cheap Brasscraft from Home Depot) leak after the first use in 5 years of no exercising. Wondering if multi turns can go longer (without exercising) since you can service them with grease. Thanks.
After I grease and replace the washer with a neoprene good quality washer my multi turn valves have went 10+ yrs and still operated. Water quality does play a significant role but grease most definitely is better than not greasing. Grease keeps the packing from dry rotting.

But if my multi turn fail, it just takes me a couple of minutes to repair them then they’re good for another 10+ yrs.

Twowax is correct most of the time. Because Twowax posts answer based off manufacturers recommendations and almost 40 years of experience of actually installing these plumbing valves/fittings we’re talking about.

Twowax was taught from a child by 6 family master plumbers and many journeyman plumbers going back 4 generations and to the introduction of modern indoor plumbing. That’s a better education than any school or certificate can provide.

I can’t help it I find some peoples ignorance comical……I’ve spent most of my life doing what others just “ talk “ about.

Better research a little more before posting what you “ think “ is correct.

okay, I suggested 1/4 turn because it looks a lot more robust than the other version where you push a washer in to seal off the flow. Unless there is a problem, these valves can go years/decades without ever moving, the washers slowly degrading. Are you suggesting that the 1/4 ball valves are just as problematic? Since your first response was sarcastic, how about commenting to the facts of the matter - which style is better? just about everything, be it from any big box store or a plumbing supply house is sourced out of China. So, enlighten us Obiwan.

Latest posts

Back