Toilet - Replacement recommendation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrecisionPlum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Situation:
The current toilet is a Kohler with a canister flush valve. It is only around 7 years old;
however, the customer is complaining that it is a poor flusher. My term, not theirs,
but you get the idea. I have been there a couple of times, have tried to make minor
adjustment as possible, have tested it multiple of times, and it all works as intended,
but there is still the customer complaint.

Fill valve - Is set to fill the tank to the top of the canister.
Flush Handle, trip lever arm, and chain all function as intended.
I.e. No hang ups and the canister is pulled up as high as possible.
Canister - Functions as intended and there is no leakage.
Water type - Municipal system without minerals.
I.e. it is not hard water, so there shouldn't be any calcium build up under the bowl rim.

At this point the customer wants a new toilet.

Question:
What are your recommendations for a replacement given your experience
for this same type of situation?

TYI

Might have a horned wax ring obstructing the outlet a little.

Get a Toto Drake or a cadet 3 with 1.6gpf

Might have a horned wax ring obstructing the outlet a little.

Get a Toto Drake or a cadet 3 with 1.6gpf
I thought about that, but I don't want to pull the toilet, have a slight obstruction
not be the problem, then reinstall the old toilet while I wait for a replacement,
then come back and replace the old one with a new one.

Last edited:
In my state you can only buy a 1.6 if it's existing inventory. 1.28 or less is all that's allowed now.

I replaced a couple of older toilets with Toto Drake 1.28 gallon toilets. I am happy with the way they flush.

I have a kohler and am picky, but it's a 2023 model. Works fine. The only gripe I have is that the amount of water in the bowl could be more (might be an adjustment).

Handicap toilets make the water spot ( water innthe boel) look even smaller because of the added height. ✌️

Kohler sucks 😬

I agree with Twowaxhack on a Toto Drake but is the current Khohler a 1.28? Just going 1.6 usually helps for me.

I don't know about other states, but in Texas toilets must be certified not to exceed 1.28 gpf in order to be sold in the state.

I don't know about other states, but in Texas toilets must be certified not to exceed 1.28 gpf in order to be sold in the state.
Really? I can't believe that because Texas has so little regulation. I'm in Florida and I don't know if there are any rules but I do notice you can't purchase 1.6 gallon toilets in any store. But I assume this is just because they refuse to stock them since most people want efficiency. Last time I had to order a 1.6 gallon toilet it was very difficult with the Covid shortages. They never shipped the toilet for months so I had to cancel order from Home depot and then placed an order for a 1.6 gallon from Ferguson. They shipped it to me no problem. The professional plumbers do install 1.6 gallon toilets here in Florida in my area but they are not purchased from normal consumer stores. And actually, I know Ferguson stocks the 1.6 gallon toilets in Tampa when you order it.

That's amazing to me Texas has a rule against 1.6 gallon toilets. They famously have very little regulation for more dangerous industries like how fertilizer is stored or other chemicals. I assume since Texas has to buy water from other states maybe in some areas, they simply must regulate water use to keep prices low I assume.

Last edited:
Really? I can't believe that because Texas has so little regulation. I'm in Florida and I don't know if there are any rules but I do notice you can't purchase 1.6 gallon toilets in any store. But I assume this is just because they refuse to stock them since most people want efficiency. Last time I had to order a 1.6 gallon toilet it was very difficult with the Covid shortages. They never shipped the toilet for months so I had to cancel order from Home depot and then placed an order for a 1.6 gallon from Ferguson. They shipped it to me no problem. The professional plumbers do install 1.6 gallon toilets here in Florida in my area but they are not purchased from normal consumer stores. And actually, I know Ferguson stocks the 1.6 gallon toilets in Tampa when you order it.

That's amazing to me Texas has a rule against 1.6 gallon toilets. They famously have very little regulation for more dangerous industries like how fertilizer is stored or other chemicals. I assume since Texas has to buy water from other states maybe in some areas, they simply must regulate water use to keep prices low I assume.
So much for things are bigger in Texas, that doesn’t apply to a toilet flush.

Back