Toilet recommendation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersm

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a toilet recommendation.

I've seen a few online and one is this: Kohler Memoirs Stately and other one is: Kohler Transpose Elongate

The first one is nice however has a new (no screw) installation that concerns me a bit, because it looks that it has 2 points of possible failure instead of only one.

The second one is a more classical one, I'd say even a bit more classic that I want for my test.

I am looking for something that's under $800 (or around) and is available in US, PNW - Seattle area (preferable HomeDepot or Lowes, as these are near by options).

Thanks so much for any advice and help!

I'm so very happy with HDepot's American Standard Cadet 3 Flowise.
It flushes without clogging now for well over a year and a half without a hesitation. Has simple classic and common inner parts.
Of course as with most H.D kits, the included soft close seat is a throw away, along with the crappy installation supplies, but still a good priced unit at a bit over $215.
Get a nice Toto soft close seat, solid brass closet bolt set with stainless steel washers and nuts and good wax. Better yet, have a professional plumbing contractor do it all.

Breplum’s advice on the Cadet 3, is solid. They are what we install at work. And we have very few issues with them. All the parts needed to work on them are available at the local Ace Hardware.

I have the American Standard, Champion 4. It has a 4-inch flush valve, which I can’t buy locally. But, it is the best flushing toilet I’ve ever seen. The younger brother, used to test toilets to see how well they flushed. He put a coffee can of drier lint, (he said it is a good substitute for Floop, a product he used at work to test the ability to flush floaties), and it flushed with out issue. Then a dozen golf balls, again no issue. At which point he decided it works really well.

American standard flushvalve seals are garbage. The Blue one……now they’ve switched to a clear seal. Probably still garbage.

I replace the entire flushvalve and use a regular 3” flapper.

You know why there’s a champion 4 ? Maybe the champion 1-3 was garbage. Check for yourself, I lived it.

Buy it if you want, but the flushvalve sucks, you’ve been warned. They flush good and are heavy A grade china.

I quit replacing the seals. I replace the entire flushvalve now.

Too many leakers with just replacing the flushvalve seal.

American standard has a bad habit of making proprietary crap that doesn’t work then changing parts to try and make it work.

I’m tired of being part of their experiments. Same with Kohler.

I'm just a home owner, but I really like Kohler toilets. Just built a cabin and installed a Kohler Cimaaron with the swirl flush. I had had cimarrons in my previous house and had zero problems in 8 years. I have only had the new flush pattern for three months, but it really does swirl the bowl clean. Kohler ceramics always seem to have a great finish.

I have a. Champion 4 in a temporary office building. It also flushes well, but I like the Kohler better

The Cadet 3 FloWise uses a conventional, universal 3" flapper. No seal involved.

When we buy new toilets at work, we look for ones we can repair with things we get at the local hardware stores, or lumberyards. Which is generally Flushmate. We are about 2-1/2-hours from larger towns. So, having to run down a nonstandard part becomes an all day event.

Both the Kohler Memoirs Stately and the Kohler Transpose would be fine. Performance between the two should be similar, so you're really picking them on style. I see that the Memoirs gets 1,000 on the MaP testing. I also like the Kohler slow closing seats. The Transpose has a nice adapter that allows for the skirted bowl. No drilling of the floor, it's all done with the adapter.

Last edited:
Buy a toilet with a 2” or 3” flapper.

Don’t buy any type toilet with flushvalve seals or gaskets with “ flush towers “.

I'm so very happy with HDepot's American Standard Cadet 3 Flowise.
It flushes without clogging now for well over a year and a half without a hesitation. Has simple classic and common inner parts.
Of course as with most H.D kits, the included soft close seat is a throw away, along with the crappy installation supplies, but still a good priced unit at a bit over $215.
Get a nice Toto soft close seat, solid brass closet bolt set with stainless steel washers and nuts and good wax. Better yet, have a professional plumbing contractor do it all.
Hi. Do you recall which TOTO seat? Also, I believe the Cadet 3 is a Compact Elongated. Is there a standard elongated? If not, is there much difference between a Compact Elongated and Standard Elongated?
Thank You!!

I quit replacing the seals. I replace the entire flushvalve now.

Too many leakers with just replacing the flushvalve seal.

American standard has a bad habit of making proprietary crap that doesn’t work then changing parts to try and make it work.

I’m tired of being part of their experiments. Same with Kohler.
We will replace the seal or if you want we'll replace the whole canister but we will not warranty any repair to any American Standard Champion toilet. We point out the class action lawsuit against these things and always recommend replacing it with either American Standard Cadet Pro or Toto Drake. Not a fan of Champions😕

Back