Toilet no Vent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApexDelta

Reaction score
Hello, just purchased a home and toilet on first floor sometimes has a strong sewer smell. Replaced wax seal, original looked good. Still smells in bowl, not near base of toilet…

- From the looks of it I just need to add a 2” vent to this before the main (goes right to second story toilet?
- Should the 3” drain pipe be more horizontal to the main too - I assume sewer gasses go right up that?

(Note no other drains/toilets have the smell)

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpeg
    IMG_0094.jpeg
    869.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Does the toilet in question ever bubble or gurgle when you flush the upstairs toilet ?

I’m not convinced it’s a vent issue.

A little movement in the bowl won’t cause your stink.

If it doesn’t bubble or siphon all the way down and gurgle then it’s not the source of your stink through the bowl.

The wax was replaced but that doesn’t mean it’s not still leaking gas there. I know you think it’s not but I’m not convinced.

I’m not convinced it’s a vent issue.

A little movement in the bowl won’t cause your stink.

If it doesn’t bubble or siphon all the way down and gurgle then it’s not the source of your stink through the bowl.

The wax was replaced but that doesn’t mean it’s not still leaking gas there. I know you think it’s not but I’m not convinced.
Gotcha, I guess I’ll get a taller wax seal?
I used a standard there’s no rocking currently

This was what it looked like when I initially replaced it:

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
That doesn’t look bad but pictures can be deceiving.

Pull the toilet, clean the wax off and take a pic for me. The bottom of the flange should be on top of the finished floor. Flange should be anchored to the floor.

That doesn’t look bad but pictures can be deceiving.

Pull the toilet, clean the wax off and take a pic for me. The bottom of the flange should be on top of the finished floor. Flange should be anchored to the floor.
If the top of the flange is even with the floor (someone tiled around it) do you just add a spacer and standard wax ring, or could you just use a double or tall wax ring ? I'm thinking you need that spacer to get it above floor level.

If the top of the flange is even with the floor (someone tiled around it) do you just add a spacer and standard wax ring, or could you just use a double or tall wax ring ? I'm thinking you need that spacer to get it above floor level.
The correct thing to do would be to remove the flange and replace at the proper height.

Well looks like it’s is not secured actually the screws are not long enough and floor is not level around toilet specifically. Flange is 1/2” above tile in back and 3/8” in front

Going to level subfloor and redo flange correctly- Luckily prev owner left a lot of extra title around.

Thanks for all your help!!

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpeg
    IMG_0102.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
I’d seal that pipe off really well for a few days and see if my stink went away.

I’d seal that pipe off really well for a few days and see if my stink went away.
Floor leveled w/ new plywood as it was buckled. Flange secured on top of floor. Toilet is solid and flush to floor. Used a jumbo wax seal as well.

Smell went away for a few hours but came back after hot shower this morning.

Floor leveled w/ new plywood as it was buckled. Flange secured on top of floor. Toilet is solid and flush to floor. Used a jumbo wax seal as well.

Smell went away for a few hours but came back after hot shower this morning.
Ok, take the toilet up and seal the pipe off for a few days and see if the stink goes away for that time period.

Is the shower you used in the same bathroom as the toilet you’re resetting ?

Ok will do and yes shower goes into main drain but below
Ok so took of the main drain cap off. Air is flowing down and into basement. I did paper test no suction flowing into basement… there’s no wind today, also can see daylight no clog.

The vent on roof is 3-4 feet from peak - should this be taller perhaps? It’s the tiny pipe on second floor dormer. I’ll throw a few feet on after I get a safety rope.

Should my septic tank (down hill) have a vent as well?

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back