Toilet Auger Recommendations

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been clearing some toilet clogs with a plunger. I recently read that plunging could damage the wax ring and a toilet auger would be a better option. I've seen recommendations for the Ridgid 59787 K-3. I figured I'd ask you folks for your recommendations.
Thank You.

If your looking for a toilet auger then that’s what I’d buy.

If your looking for a toilet auger then that’s what I’d buy.
Final question (hopefully). Will a 3 footer be sufficient to clear human waste clogs or should I go with a 6 footer? The reason I ask is because of the comments that a 3 footer is easier to maneuver. If you think the longer length isn't an issue then I'll just get the 6 footer.
Thank You.....again.

Either one, the extended version gets you about 3’ past the outlet of the toilet into the pipe. You have a button that you press that allows the extra 3’ to be used AFTER you’ve got the first 3’ into the bowl.

People complaining probably don’t know how to use the tool ✌️. They’re probably extending the whole 6’ of cable before they start 🫢

Either works for me. I like the drop head, it’s a little bigger in diameter that the bulb head.

The auger you show in the picture has a very big head on it, we use that one at work, general also sells one with just a bulb on the end much easier to get through the toilet, general is the one we use at work I have a rigid 6' but I had a few stoppages past the toilet and that's all they had at the big box stores

The auger you show in the picture has a very big head on it, we use that one at work, general also sells one with just a bulb on the end much easier to get through the toilet, general is the one we use at work I have a rigid 6' but I had a few stoppages past the toilet and that's all they had at the big box stores
FWIW, the comment on the General Wire website said that the Drop/Down Head would work better on older toilets while the Bulb Head would work better on modern low-flow toilets.
I just ordered the 6 ft Bulb Head version.
I don't know if this is appropriate to ask on the forum but I live just south of Boston (South Shore) and may be in need of a professional plumber in the near future. Can you provide your company name/contact info? Thank You.

Find a junker toilet and practice running your new auger through the bowl. Set the toilet up on blocks.

Then run it through your toilets so you’ll know what the cable feels like passing through when the toilet is not stopped up.

Find a junker toilet and practice running your new auger through the bowl. Set the toilet up on blocks.

Then run it through your toilets so you’ll know what the cable feels like passing through when the toilet is not stopped up.
The General 6 footer was delivered a few days ago. Heavy duty for sure. No wonder you pros like them.
I'll search for a junker.
Happy New Year.
Thanks For all the help!

The next time your toilet plugs up try it out. A plunger does put pressure on the seal if plugged bad enough.

Latest posts

Back