The Beer Brewing Thread.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phish, where are you?
Working and sleeping. Still reading, but not too much posting.

I am thinking that the drain down through the chiller will be slow, but that might be a positive to cool the wort off. How much icewater does it take to cool from 200+ to pitch temp on a 5 gallon batch?

I did some testing tonight while brewing a batch of Nottingham Ale and I need more ice. I tossed in two small bags and filled it with water and got it from boil to 102 going right through. It does go nice and slow which is what I wanted and was coming out about 80 degrees until my ice melted half way through. I am going to freeze a couple coffee cans so i can fit the ice inside the coils. If I can keep ice in the cooler I think I will be fine.

IMG_20130115_154537.jpg

IMG_20130115_164627 (1).jpg

I did that, I just needed more ice. I am going to freeze a bunch tonight for tomorrows brew and test again. Wish I had a chest freezer where I could put the whole thing in and make it one giant chunk of ice.

So I am not to happy with my Wort Chiller, It is a pain to get the gravity going. I am going to build a new one and convert this guy into a chiller for a keg that is portable. Don't know which style I am going to go with yet but something easier then what I have.

Here is my Mash Tun I built, now that works well. Also a few pics of my Chocolate Porter.

IMG_20130117_175341.jpg

IMG_20130117_195151.jpg

IMG_20130117_204314.jpg

IMG_20130117_204322.jpg

I absolutely LOVE a good porter. But a good porter is really hard to find, even at a high price. Believe it or not, Yvengling Porter is the best commercial porter that seems to be readily available, at least in my opinion. Michelob isn't bad, when you can find it. I have tried a lot of different microbrew porters, and can't find one that really does it for me. Maybe my taste buds are screwed up?

I am hoping this porter turns out well, I am the same way and love porter but its hard to find a great one.

^Whats in the bottle?

So I picked up a kegerator and a couple taps for my bar today, hopefully tomorrow I can get it all dialed in and have beer on tap at my bar.

Latest posts

Back