Tailpiece termination cap ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an avid & very stubborn DIY'r, I've finally learned that just because I WANT to do something a certain way doesn't mean I should. Sometimes my "better idea" turns a 2 hour job into a 2 day job & triples my cost. In my short time lurking on this forum I've learned there are a lot of people who are kind helping you do what you want even if there's a much better way.

At 70, I've made a lot of mistakes over the years being just plain cheap. The first rule of building, remodeling, home repair, etc. is that it always takes longer, costs more, & frustrates you more than you thought it could. Rule 2 is that if you're trying to match or work with existing stuff, triple rule 1.

It's hard to inject tone of voice, but I say this as a polite recommendation. Unless the drain assembly on your sink has no current parts available (or are really expensive), just replace it & be done. You'll KNOW it's clean & it will look clean too.

Best wishes.

What's wrong with a sonic cleaner, I am sure it would shift it and I could keep the parts.

Cons for sonic cleaner.
1. From the initial pic you posted, it's going to be difficult to remove the parts intact. I guess if you would have to remove the parts to replace them you'll know if they survive.
2. You'll have to get new gaskets for sure. If any sealing surfaces have been damaged, you'll probably have leaks.
3. If you don't already have a sonic cleaner how much will you spend to buy or rent one? How much time will that take?
4. If the sonic cleaner doesn't perform as expected you'll be out that cost and time.
5. It seems like you've already spent a lot more time than it would have taken to just replace the parts.

Good luck.

What's wrong with a sonic cleaner, I am sure it would shift it and I could keep the parts.
I thought you were kidding. If you remove the parts to put them in a sonic cleaner, you will get a much better job of cleaning by pressure washing them, using wire brushes, or sand blasting them. But as install4you said, the parts will likely fall apart when you remove them from the sink.

Just for reference, the initial photo I used was from the internet, but the subsequent ones I have are the drain in question.

I don't have a sonic cleaner, but at some point in the future I shall. I don't mind making this a long term ToDo, it doesn't immediately affect me and I would like to know for myself.

Perhaps a sonic cleaner would a different job over brushing or blasting, but it's a lot less effort. I am just looking to remove the build up, not make it look like new.

Anyway, I thank you all for your advice, I don't think any more can be done until the sonic system is tested.

I've had very good luck removing "Pipe Jello" and grease with washing soda.

Mix to a saturated solution in hot water. (Saturated solution means that no more will dissolve.)
Dump it in the drain & wait an hour or so.
If desired, scrub with a bottle brush to loosen stuff. Or, now dump vinegar in there and the foaming will be the scrubber.
Rinse with the hottest water possible.

Periodically, I put enzymes in the sinks to eat the soap residue that is in the traps. It also washes down the drain, eating the stuff in the down-stream pipes. The company for whom I worked owned Commercial food manufacturing plants and meat processing plants. They use enzymes in the drainage system because it eats grease from the pipes and grease traps. You can also use septic tank enzymes, which are cheaper than drain cleaning enzymes.
Paul

Last edited:
Back