Tailpiece termination cap ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjoffi

Reaction score
I am sure that there are many existing methods to what I wish to achieve, however one I idea I had was to find a standard screw-cap fitting for a sink's tailpiece, so that I could then fill the entire pipe with bleach and cap it off at the top to take action on the fungus growing in all it's intricate places:

Step-2-Remove-the-Old-Strainer.jpg

Would such a technique work and does such a fitting exist please ?

You can, at home depot there are rubber caps with hose clamps as you fastener,or just use a fitting brush and a small dowel to extend it and clean it that way

Last edited:
I tried the experiment for nine hours:
plugTest1a.png
plugTest1b.png

However, the following morning nothing had visibly changed:

plugTest1c.png

I know that the strong drain cleaner acids work, but I wanted to use something less expensive, with the cost being time, but it doesn't work like that.

Any suggestions ?

Sorry, but I am confused with this experiment. Are you trying different chemicals in order to make your chrome drain look new?

the entire pipe with bleach and cap it off at the top to take action on the fungus growing in all it's intricate places
If you have done this, you have killed any and all fungi in the intricate places of the drain. However, just because the fungi are killed, it doesn't mean the residue goes away. It will need to be mechanically removed. I suppose you could use some acids to decompose the organic material, but that would also cause damage to the sink metallic parts.

And if havasu is correct that you are trying to "make your chrome drain look new", that will never happen. They will need to be replaced.

I just wanted to remove all the fungi, not make it look like new.

I thought if it died it would just let go and drop off.

Any ideas ?

Other than taking it all apart to clean it with a wire brush, which also means you would likely have to replace all the parts with new anyway based on the pictures, I have no other ideas.

It's a kitchen sink, with food products going down the drain every day if you really want to clean the tail peices there are plastic brushes you clean glassware with but I think, your over thinking it but that's ok too

So it looks like a caustic chemical solution then ?

There no point in having purchased the cap then, as it would just be the normal practice of flushing the drain with the chemical anyway ?

So it looks like a caustic chemical solution then ?

There no point in having purchased the cap then, as it would just be the normal practice of flushing the drain with the chemical anyway ?
No, a caustic cleaner will not accomplish what you want. You can try to use bottle brushes, toothbrushes, shotgun cleaning brass brushes, etc. Or, remove the drain assembly, install a new one, and clean it weekly with a good sink cleaner, not a drain cleaner.

What about an White Vinegar (acetic acid) bath ?
That may help, but no reasonable acid will remove the residual material from killing the fungi. It must be removed mechanically.

If this was outside, you could use a pressure washer to mechanically clean the drain. It would be quite messy inside a house I would expect.

Latest posts

Back