Sump pumps

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Septik

Reaction score
Am replacing a sump pump. Box picture shows check valve connected directly to pump outlet.I don't get it. Why have the valve in the water, and have to unscrew pump from valve if replacement necessary in the future...not easy...Why not have the valve up a little, out of water,maybe a foot or less above sump opening, with a boot. Seems a lot easier to change if needed.
What am I missing...?
Thanx in advance for any info.
Charlie

I have seen them both ways. No difference that I know of. Once the check valve closes there will be a slight vacuum under the valve, but that can't hurt anything.

Sump pumps are designed to pump extra water out of your basement. That water can come in if the basement is below the water table line in your area, if it floods, or if you simply get too much rain sometimes. Regardless of why they're needed, sump pumps can save thousands of dollars in damage caused by basement flooding.

Sump pumps are designed to pump extra water out of your basement. That water can come in if the basement is below the water table line in your area, if it floods, or if you simply get too much rain sometimes. Regardless of why they're needed, sump pumps can save thousands of dollars in damage caused by basement flooding.
That's absolutely right. Think of the other side of the coin. With no sump pit and nowhere for water to get into the basement, with a flooding condition, the basement could become a giant ship with a house on top of it.

I don't think the question was why do you need to have a sump pump, it was why would the manufacturer direct you to install the check valve right on top of the pump.

My thoughts is that the huge "bang" when the head pressure slams back down on the check valve can, over time, nock loose the hose clamps on the check valve. I actually had this happen with a sewage ejector too and it isn't pretty!

So... if the check valve came loose and it was down low, at least water wouldn't spray everywhere? It might even be less likely to come apart since it is one less connection (no pipe under it), and perhaps less vibration? Plus, with the check valve up say three feet, every time the pump shuts off that extra three feet of water under the valve comes right back down in to your pit, so you run the pump more often.

Just thoughts, I'm no expert.

Back