Sump Pump Riser

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cnovimi

Reaction score
I bought a Wayne WSS30VN 1/2 HP Combination Primary and Backup system to replace my current single 1/3 hp pump. I measured the top of the basin to see if it would fit not realizing that it’s tapered and the bottom of the basin is smaller than the top. When I tried to install it I can only get it down to about 5” from the bottom. They sell risers that are 2-3” high but I’m wondering what, if any, issues I might have raising it up to 5-6” from the bottom? Not sure if having that much water in the basin at all times is a problem or not. If not, what could I use as a riser?

Thanks in advance!
C

Raising the pump up will simply reduce the working volume of your sump. As long as you have adequate volume for the pump to turn on before the water reaches the top, and your pump has adequate flow to overcome the water coming into the sump (I'm sure it has), and you have a good sump cover, there should not be any issues.

Lots of sump pumps are set on bricks/concrete blocks.

Raising the pump up will simply reduce the working volume of your sump. As long as you have adequate volume for the pump to turn on before the water reaches the top, and your pump has adequate flow to overcome the water coming into the sump (I'm sure it has), and you have a good sump cover, there should not be any issues.

Lots of sump pumps are set on bricks/concrete blocks.
Thanks, Mic. I just took some measurements. It looks like the bottom of the pump would be more like 6” from the bottom and then the bottom of the float sits about 3.5” higher and triggers about 6” from bottom of sump. So, water would be between 9.5” and 12” high at all times. Then, the backup triggers a few inches higher than that. Basin is 24”. Also, there is a pipe that looks like it drains into the basin but I haven’t actually seen anything come out of it. Am I playing with fire here? pic below is of current/old pump.

Attachments

• 09038910-7F40-4C08-9DCC-F44F1796FC47.jpeg
    09038910-7F40-4C08-9DCC-F44F1796FC47.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I think you will be fine. The pipe is probably collecting water from under the perimeter of the foundation. The sump should have holes in the sides and bottom to let water in and out if the water table falls below the bottom of the sump. You hopefully have a good cover for the sump to keep things from falling into it and the humidity down in the area of the sump.

Latest posts

Back