Sump pump drain away from house

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrkerr

Reaction score
My sump pump currently ejects out a 1.25" pvc pipe that sticks about a foot out from my basement wall, about a foot off the ground. When the pump runs, it dumps the water one foot from my basement wall, which then creates a river that runs right back down the wall and also trenches under my AC slab. Not good. Plus, my water softener dumps in to it, so it kills anything I put near it.

So, I need to run this thing a good 250' to the unmowed wooded area outside of my lawn where it can feel free to wreak havoc. The good news it that it is nicely sloped away from the house.

I live in Michigan, so we get a lot of cold weather and since the softener dumps water in the sump it runs year round. But it is salty water, so has a lower freezing point.

My questions are: is there a certain type of pipe I should use, is there a certain size of pipe, is there a gradient I should maintain, and is there a depth I should be at?

Thanks much!

Back