Sump Pit Inlet slope

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carr0406

Reaction score
I have a sump pump that runs alot so have been trying to adjust my switch to just above the water table but below the two drain tile inlets to prevent moisture wicking. I only ever get water coming out of the one inlet after a rain and wondered why the other inlet never gets water coming out. I looked today and can see inside the pipe it actually slopes down and away so the whole pipe would need to be full before water would drain into the pit. I'm guessing when they put the plastic pit in and cutout the holes the one drain tile was to low so they just bent it upwards to fit? After letting the water level rise I can see some what sitting in the pipe with alot of calcium buildup. Is this ok to leave as is? Assuming the pipe is just flat all the way around the footers maybe water takes the long way and drains out of the other end. Would the two inlets be 1 long pipe that goes all around my basement footers or two separate pipes? House was built in 2000 with clay soil. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20231204_164944235.jpg
    PXL_20231204_164944235.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231204_165029764.jpg
    PXL_20231204_165029764.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231204_165037025.jpg
    PXL_20231204_165037025.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
You would think I was 2 pipes, the water table could have shifted or the material under and around the pipe wasn't taped down properly causing a sag???

You would think I was 2 pipes, the water table could have shifted or the material under and around the pipe wasn't taped down properly causing a sag???
It could be a sag, I had a 10ft fish line with a camera so I took a look and I can see the pipe does seem to come back up after a foot of sag. No water after that in the line so I think everything should be fine. Tried using my hand to lift the sag but it didn't budge so I think I'll just leave it. Since its only a foot away from the pit I'm guessing water should still drain down if necessary but I'll keep an eye on it. Last question anyone ever use a jetter on their drain lines to clean them out? I have one to use with a pressure washer and might clean out all the hard water deposits but don't want to cause any problems. Guessing it will be a big mess but might be worth it? Thanks.

Don't worry about the deposits, they aren't causing any problems. With any pressure assisted cleaning device, you can potentially "jet" debris from the area around the pipe through the drainage holes and into the pipe. Everything is fine and will work the way it currently is.

When you say your pump runs a lot, is it because it goes on and off a lot and pumps for a short time only, or does it come on and stays running for a lengthy period?

I'd be very careful using a jet on that type of pipe I would use a (pressure balloon) it's a rubber or canvas tube ...best way to describe it it threads onto a garden hose, and expands in the drain spraying a pressurized stream of water

Ok, I think I will just leave it as is. My pump runs for only around 15 seconds but cycles frequently compared to the other homes in my neighborhood. I was told I have one of the few homes with a full basement because after they built my house they realized water may be an issue. I've already replaced the pump twice in 6 years of living here. First was a burnout and second I did just as a precaution as I upgraded to a better quality zoeller pump. I did raise the floats up which has seemed to help with the ground water triggering the pump as much.

Ok, I think I will just leave it as is. My pump runs for only around 15 seconds but cycles frequently compared to the other homes in my neighborhood. I was told I have one of the few homes with a full basement because after they built my house they realized water may be an issue. I've already replaced the pump twice in 6 years of living here. First was a burnout and second I did just as a precaution as I upgraded to a better quality zoeller pump. I did raise the floats up which has seemed to help with the ground water triggering the pump as much.

I’ve never understood why people put such small basins in.

I see your in MN. I'm wondering what your basement walls are made of and if you see any seepage through them. I'm betting poured concrete, they should know how to build a basement up there. My basement (in sc) when built, I could find no one that had a clue how to pour a basemenT wall, so I ended up with 12" block wall. Which I had to reinforce because of compressive dirt ( I think that's what they call it) it will bow my wall and then shrink back every wet season cycle. But I see discoloration in the blocks even though thier waterproofed on both sides. Just curious about your walls.

Back