SUBMERSIBLE PUMP WON'T START

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if the 20 amp breaker isn't tripping off when I try to turn the pump on doesn't that confirm that my pump is not requiring more than 20 amps?
If the pump would run then that might would be a true statement. But your pump won’t run with 220v applied to the circuit. So it’s bad wiring or a bad pump.

So if the 20 amp breaker isn't tripping off when I try to turn the pump on doesn't that confirm that my pump is not requiring more than 20 amps?
As the pump is not running, it is drawing zero amps, so the answer is no. You will only know by running the pump and checking the amperage draw with a meter like Valveman indicated in post #2. Or run it and see if the breaker trips.

If the pump would run then that might would be a true statement. But your pump won’t run with 220v applied to the circuit. So it’s bad wiring or a bad pump.
Okay. Before I choose the option of pulling the pump out of the well I am going to replace the 20-amp breaker with a 30-amp and the 12 gauge wire with 10 gauge. I am really hoping that will fix the problem.

Thanks again for all the advice.

One of the legs on the 20 amp breaker could be defective. It happens more than you think.

Okay. Before I choose the option of pulling the pump out of the well I am going to replace the 20-amp breaker with a 30-amp and the 12 gauge wire with 10 gauge. I am really hoping that will fix the problem.

If what you’ve posted previously is true, changing the breaker and wire won’t do a thing to help you.

The way it reads to me is that he has exposed the junction between the pump wires going down the well and the wires coming from his breaker box.

He’s checked the connections and he’s receiving 220v at that junction.

So I’m suggesting that it’s the pump wiring from that junction or the pump itself that is the problem.

The way it reads to me is that he has exposed the junction between the pump wires going down the well and the wires coming from his breaker box.

He’s checked the connections and he’s receiving 220v at that junction.

So I’m suggesting that it’s the pump wiring from that junction or the pump itself that is the problem.
I agree also, a definite break someplace between that junction and the pump. To bad he can't check it just before it goes down into the well.
Maybe one of those voltage checkers that flash and beep would at lest show if there was some current in the wires at that point. I'd be tempted to cut the wires there and check them... junction box them back up .
But I don't know if that's actually code. My pump actually has the two wires wire-nutted togeather inside the well head cover. No box. I guess the cover acts like the Junction box...

DON'T!!! THAT WILL NOT FIX YOUR PROBLEM AS I'VE STATED MULTIPLE TIMES!

You have said that you have 220v at the wires that are going to the pump. So, if that is true, the electricity is not getting to the pump. Either the wiring to the pump is broken, likely in my opinion, or the pump has broken wiring or connections internally, unlikely in my opinion based on your descriptions.

You said in your first post, "Or, it is possible that when I was hooking up the pump wires to the power wires in the gang box I accidentally pulled one, or all of the pump wires loose where they connect to the pump down in the well." That leads me to believe that you may have been "rough" in doing the wiring.

Again, the breaker and wiring size is NOT your "my pump won't start" problem.

But he has 220 going into the gang box (whatever that is ) but does he have 220 comming out ? Or is a gang box just a junction box ?
When I say that I have 220v going in to the gang box (junction box) I also mean that it is going out via the pump wires that are connected to the 220v coming in. The pump wires coming out of the gang box then go about 3 feet over to the well head and down to the pump. The point where the pump wires enter the well head is obviously the last point at which I can test if 220v power is reaching.

DON'T!!! THAT WILL NOT FIX YOUR PROBLEM AS I'VE STATED MULTIPLE TIMES!

You have said that you have 220v at the wires that are going to the pump. So, if that is true, the electricity is not getting to the pump. Either the wiring to the pump is broken, likely in my opinion, or the pump has broken wiring or connections internally, unlikely in my opinion based on your descriptions.

You said in your first post, "Or, it is possible that when I was hooking up the pump wires to the power wires in the gang box I accidentally pulled one, or all of the pump wires loose where they connect to the pump down in the well." That leads me to believe that you may have been "rough" in doing the wiring.

Again, the breaker and wiring size is NOT your "my pump won't start" problem.
I wasn't rough at all when I hooked up the pump wires to the 220v power wires. I was thinking that it would not take much force to disconnect one or more wires during that connection process if the wires were not connected tightly at the pump end.

I wasn't rough at all when I hooked up the pump wires to the 220v power wires. I was thinking that it would not take much force to disconnect one or more wires during that connection process if the wires were not connected tightly at the pump end.
When I connected mine, I used special connectors that go over each end of the wire, crimp them , then you heat it to melt it all together. I wrapped each connection with 3m waterproof melding tape. . Like these...

https://www.amazon.com/Water-SPLICE...8&psc=1&mcid=e1860a4cced439aaaa1635bb7dfddea6

You can still get that with one bad breaker. Must be 230V between the wires, not just 115V on each to ground.
Absolutly.. your breaker could also be in the wrong position so each leg is 115v from same leg.. has to be 220 across both wires, not 115 on each.

Latest posts

Back