Subfloor/crack in tile around toilet flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berderder

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Replacing the upstairs toilet. The tile around the flange has a long thin crack in it. There is space around the flange as well as if tile wasn't quite cut to size to fit the (cast iron?) sewer drain. The screws for the flange hug pretty close to the perimeter of the hole in the tile. Can't get a photo at this very moment. Can I get away with this for awhile and replace the toilet now or does the tile/subfloor situation sound more urgent? Thanks

It's better if you show pictures,but the flange should sit on the tile secured down with tapcon screws or stainless screws should be tile under all of the flange
Thanks for the reply. Here are some photos. After cleaning turns out it’s PVC

Attachments

• IMG_4803.jpeg
    IMG_4803.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4802.jpeg
    IMG_4802.jpeg
  • IMG_4801.jpeg
    IMG_4801.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4800.jpeg
    IMG_4800.jpeg
While I cannot see the specific condition of your tile and subfloor, I can offer some general guidance. It's important to ensure that the area around the flange is stable and properly supported to prevent any issues with the new toilet installation. Here are a few points to consider:

1. Stability: Check if the crack in the tile has caused any movement or instability in the surrounding area. If the tile or subfloor feels loose or shows signs of significant damage, it may be necessary to address the issue before proceeding with the toilet replacement.

2. Level and Support: Verify that the existing tile and subfloor provide a level and solid foundation for the new toilet. If the tile was not properly cut to fit around the flange, it could result in an uneven or unstable base for the toilet. This can lead to leaks, rocking, or even damage to the flange or sewer drain over time. If the space around the flange is significant, it may require additional support or filling to ensure stability.

3. Water Sealing: Ensure that there are no gaps or compromised areas around the flange that could potentially cause water leaks. Proper sealing between the flange and the tile/subfloor is crucial to prevent water damage and maintain the integrity of the bathroom floor.

Considering these points, it's generally recommended to address any issues with the tile and subfloor before installing a new toilet. This will help ensure a stable and long-lasting installation. If you're unsure about the condition or urgency of the tile and subfloor repairs, it's advisable to consult a professional plumber or contractor who can assess the situation in person and provide specific recommendations based on the observed condition.

Would you see someone applying grout in the gaps around the flange? I'll most likely consult with someone in person, but thought I'd ask. It feels pretty stable. If it's something as simple as filling the gaps with grout...

thehazelnutt hit the important issues you need to be concerned about.

Your main concern is to assure your subflooring and joists are in good shape. After that, then yes, the gaps should be sealed with something, grout or even silicone caulk. You're wanting to keep any water, or other fluid from poorly aimed little boys and old men, that gets on the floor from getting down into the subflooring and joists where it can cause rotting of the wood.

It doesn't appear all the mounting screw holes were used. If the hole in the subfloor isn't rather tight around the drainpipe, then some of those holes may not be useable anyway. But I always like to use all of those to assure a solid mounting for the toilet. And I often use a couple of pieces of 2x6s with a half circle cut in them to encircle the drainpipe and provide a solid place to screw long anchor screws.

It doesn't appear that your toilet was caulked around the base. Some people do that to help prevent fluid on the floor from getting under the toilet. I personally don't like to do that and prefer to assure no fluid can get past the pipe to flooring joint. And if a toilet is caulked aroud the base, a couple of inches should remain open in the back to help assure a failed wax seal is not hidden.

Back