Strange noise from the drainage hole

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cecilia 83

Reaction score
Hey Plumbing community,
I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experienced something similar or might have some insight into a persistent issue that's been plaguing me for the past four years. I live on the 5th floor of a condo building, and every single night, without fail, I hear this strange noise emanating from my drainage hole. It's like a generator or helicopter, and it runs for hours, making it impossible to sleep.
What's particularly baffling is that this noise never occurs during the day, making it all the more challenging to pinpoint the source. Despite numerous attempts to resolve the issue, including hiring plumbers and HVAC experts, nothing seems to help. We've checked everything imaginable - from the AC unit and hot water heater to the pipes themselves. We've even gone as far as snaking the drain and running a camera down it, but still, no luck.
I'm at my wit's end here, folks. This constant noise is not only loud but incredibly annoying, and it's been disrupting my sleep for far too long. If anyone has any suggestions, insights, or similar experiences to share, I would be immensely grateful. Please help me solve this mystery and finally get some peace and quiet at night! Attached recording here...
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Attachments

• New Recording 89.mp4
    672 KB
What drainage hole are you referring to? Kitchen sink, bathroom sink, drains? Do you feel pipes vibrating?

Like sawguy said, it sounds like a fan noise. Do you or any of your neighbors leave a bathroom fan/light combo on for a night light?

Like sawguy said, it sounds like a fan noise. Do you or any of your neighbors leave a bathroom fan/light combo on for a night light?
This noise starts at 7:30ET and goes all the way through 3 or 4 am in the morning EVERY DAY, not sure if this is my downstairs neighbor?

What drainage hole are you referring to? Kitchen sink, bathroom sink, drains? Do you feel pipes vibrating?
I posted a picture in thread...We have snaked this hole and it is confirmed there is no blockage. And no one in my area can figure this out...Oh the pipes are not vibrating.

This noise starts at 7:30ET and goes all the way through 3 or 4 am in the morning EVERY DAY, not sure if this is my downstairs neighbor?
All the HVAC/water heater TPR valve discharge/etc. drains in the building are likely connected at some point. If this comes on at 7:30 like "clockwork", then I suspect it is one of your neighbors that has a fan of some sort on a timer located close to that drain piping.

All the HVAC/water heater TPR valve discharge/etc. drains in the building are likely connected at some point. If this comes on at 7:30 like "clockwork", then I suspect it is one of your neighbors that has a fan of some sort on a timer located close to that drain piping.
My building manager has investigated my downstairs neighbor and she didn't find anything abnormal. What type of fan should we be looking out for in the utility closet? it's pretty packed with HVAC unit and a giant water heater. Thank you!

It really sounds like a bathroom exhaust fan. And even though it seems like it is coming up through that drain, it very well may be just close to the drain and radiating into that pipe. Is your bathroom near your utility closet? Do all the condos have the same floor plan? I'm assuming your neighbors have the same sound issue. That sound would be pretty hard to just be in your utility closet and not impact the others in the building.

It really sounds like a bathroom exhaust fan. And even though it seems like it is coming up through that drain, it very well may be just close to the drain and radiating into that pipe. Is your bathroom near your utility closet? Do all the condos have the same floor plan? I'm assuming your neighbors have the same sound issue. That sound would be pretty hard to just be in your utility closet and not impact the others in the building.
The strangest thing is that I am only person who hears it!!! If I didn't have hundreds of recordings they'd probably think that I am insane. The bathroom fan is kinds close but who would turn that on all night??!! lol

Weird! If it comes on and goes off at the same times every night, it has to be on a timer.

Just to rule out anything that is coming from your condo, the next time it starts, you could turn off each breaker in your electrical panel one at a time and see if the noise immediately stops. If it does, the noise is coming from someplace in your condo. If not, then it is coming from elsewhere in the building.

If your neighbors would cooperate, one could do the same thing in their condo to isolate the power source of the culprit fan/item.

After 4 years, I would pay the neighbors to do this if it wasn't coming from my condo, as it would have driven me crazy way before now.

Weird! If it comes on and goes off at the same times every night, it has to be on a timer.

Just to rule out anything that is coming from your condo, the next time it starts, you could turn off each breaker in your electrical panel one at a time and see if the noise immediately stops. If it does, the noise is coming from someplace in your condo. If not, then it is coming from elsewhere in the building.

If your neighbors would cooperate, one could do the same thing in their condo to isolate the power source of the culprit fan/item.

After 4 years, I would pay the neighbors to do this if it wasn't coming from my condo, as it would have driven me crazy way before now.
OMG, you have no idea, I visited mental health facilities more than I wanted to. Ok I will try that, thank you Sir!! We kept thinking this may be a building infrastructure issue, maybe pipes are getting old and loose?

When you start hearing the noise make sure you check the toilet tank to see if the fill valve is filling if its not being
used at night.

Hey Plumbing community,
I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experienced something similar or might have some insight into a persistent issue that's been plaguing me for the past four years. I live on the 5th floor of a condo building, and every single night, without fail, I hear this strange noise emanating from my drainage hole. It's like a generator or helicopter, and it runs for hours, making it impossible to sleep.
What's particularly baffling is that this noise never occurs during the day, making it all the more challenging to pinpoint the source. Despite numerous attempts to resolve the issue, including hiring plumbers and HVAC experts, nothing seems to help. We've checked everything imaginable - from the AC unit and hot water heater to the pipes themselves. We've even gone as far as snaking the drain and running a camera down it, but still, no luck.
I'm at my wit's end here, folks. This constant noise is not only loud but incredibly annoying, and it's been disrupting my sleep for far too long. If anyone has any suggestions, insights, or similar experiences to share, I would be immensely grateful. Please help me solve this mystery and finally get some peace and quiet at night! Attached recording here...
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Hello dear community,

We have inspected EVERYTHING under the sun and still no luck!! I have recorded a new audio, and in this recording, I can clearly hear there is water running but there is no water coming out of the hole. Could someone please please help me.... Thank you so so much!!!

Attachments

• 43eba153-729b-4dcc-a21a-425543e72900.mp4
    568.5 KB
Back