Spout Recommedation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owenf21

Reaction score
My bathtub spout broke off last night. I was attempting to screw it closer to the wall since there has always been a gap, and it snapped. It was a basic diverting tub spout. The nipple is 3/4", threaded and its length protrudes 1.75" from the wall. All the replacement options seem to need a longer 4" nipple or a shorter 1.25" nipple, and I suspect the gap on mine was due to the difference between the prior owner using the 1.25" option when the nipple was 1.75".

My question is - what is the best way to handle this, and what product should I buy?

Do I use an adjustable/telescoping option, and use some kind of thick wall plate to hide the gap, or can I extend the nipple with some type of coupler or adapter and use a front ended spout? What's the best thing to do here, and can you point me to a product that will work for me? This is not a fancy bathroom - it's a guest room bath that will be remodeled some day, but for now, just needs a tub spout. Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo Mar 25, 3 20 48 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 25, 3 20 48 PM.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • Photo Mar 25, 3 21 09 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 25, 3 21 09 PM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Photo Mar 25, 3 22 43 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 25, 3 22 43 PM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
The nipple you see comes in 1/2" increments, or if you can solder,you could use two male adapters and a peice between rhem

I understand that the nipple can be different sizes, but I’d rather use what I’ve got and not cut or solder it. So, is there a spout type that will work with what’s there, as is?

Additionally, I would recommed a spring loaded pull down diverter rather than one of those typical pull up diverter spouts because they work better over the long haul because they are less prone to failure due to calcium buildup, etc.

I would remove the threaded pipe, then i would solder a male 1/2 copper adt. on to a peice of copper one foot long. then put on Teflon and with a pair of plyers on the end tight the pipe in place . then get a good slip on spout . cut the pipe as required and slip it on .

Back